1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Boss Tricks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lono, Sep 6, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

OK, we all have horror stories to share about our news operations and the disconnect between newsrooms and those not in the news-gathering area of the business.

Here's mine: My boss sends one of our guys in another department a couple of story links today.

The response back?

The guy thanks the editor for the links and wants to know if "there's one place online I can find ALL our news stories?"

Feel free to weigh in with your own tales of fear and loathing from on high ...

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

End of thread.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Please explain the original post. In which department do you work? What was the meaning of the reponse you referenced?

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why did Kelly Tripucka delete his post? It was an entertaining story.

5. lono

lono Active Member

I'm in sports.

The manager in question did not grasp the fact that we have this exciting new tool called a "website" or "home page" where we do, in fact, cluster all our sports stories in one location, easily accessible to readers.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Who is the stupid boss?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know of at least one that works somewhere downriver of Natchez.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In a budget meeting last year, the current EE at the Montgomery Advertiser asked her staff, with all sincerity:
    our EE's question in a budget meeting last year, the week of the prep baseball and softball championships.

"What's the difference between baseball and softball?"

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"They both work hard, but one is played by girls, so NATURALLY we don't cover that."

Then sit back and watch the fun.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. She asked this during a budget meeting while the state high school baseball and softball finals were in town... she's a train wreck.

Draft saved Draft deleted