1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid and/or annoying statements in sports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, May 12, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Probably had a couple errors along with it.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Do you mean from hotel rooms or what? Never heard of dialing anything but 1 or 0 for long distance.

3. Exactly. ;)

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From non-SportsJournalists.commers?

I got this one guy who has a hell of a catalog to choose from.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey look everyone! Simon shitting on another thread!

Go ahead. Dredge up some of my old threads. It worked so well for you last time. Go ahead! You can do it!

And do it at 7 am, when most of us are sleeping. Except you, because the rage you harbor over your miserable existence smolders inside you all fucking day long.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

[​IMG]

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was one of my favorite things an SportsJournalists.commer has ever "said."

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

"That Jarvis, I'll tell ya, he's a football player."

I hear this from coaches all the time.

Yep, the pads and helmet are a dead giveaway.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No, this isn't a crap on ESPN thread.

Grand slam home run is another phrase that annoys me.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

"He's one of the best players in the game today."

Overused so much maybe we ought to instead use, "He's NOT one of the best players in the game today."

And from ESPN's Top 10....
    "Number 9, number 9."
    Yeah, we got it. You're hip to Yoko and Lennon. Move on.

Also, "He's going to have to shake that one off." Don't know why, particularly, but this one bugs me.

11. rallen13

rallen13 Member

How about "Grand Salami" (Courtesy Milo Hamilton) to go with the Grand Slam Home Run knock?

And what about those who STILL copy Bob Ucker's "juuuust a little bit outside?"

And I really can't stand these college, HS, and Little league PA announcers who announce the batter, say who is on deck and then add that stupid "So-and-So 'In the Hole."" I have never seem anyone standing in a hole on a baseball field. (Except for the batters who dig in so deep that have to dodge the erupting oil gushers.)

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I don't know if this is just the announcers on Rogers Sportsnet in Canada, or whether there is another origin for this, but when, say, Bryan Smolinski scores... "a goal for the Smolinskian one."

They keep turning names into adjectives, and often use that form above. It drives me insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted