1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stunning resignation in Gannett land

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brettwatson, Aug 14, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

One of Gannett's top publishers announced her resignation today...Mary Stier in Des Moines.

What makes this particularly noteworthy is that she oversaw a couple dozen newspapers in the chain. And she's leaving daily journalism to start a women's oriented web venture.

I met her once and she was very sharp. Seems like another ominous sign for the industry when someone relatively young (50) and extremely talented flies the coop for a risky online gig.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/BUSINESS/70814025/1001&lead=1

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

Dropping like flies, I tell you.

But given the amount of time, money and effort Gannett has been throwing behind all its "Moms" web-sites (IndianapolisMoms.com; RochesterMoms.com; AcadianaMoms.com), maybe she saw there was profit to be made from that venture.

I know the one that launched here has been received well by women in the area.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enormous profits with the "Moms" sites. Read Jeff Howe's article in this month's Wired. Advertisers are a-shiftin' to those paper-sponsored sites.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Met Mary a couple of times and she always came across as good people. Hence, no wonder she's leaving Gannett.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Risky online gig?

As opposed to the cradle-to-grave security in the print biz these days?

As I've said many times before in this space, sooner or later, you need to realize that the online world today isn't what it was in 1998. People aren't fleeing for Pets.com this time. They're going to real jobs with real opportunities.

Draft saved Draft deleted