1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STUNNER: Pluto leaving ABJ for PD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Aug 14, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

A whole Pluto thread and no one has said, "We can Uranus very clearly tonight."

People, you're slipping.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Livingston is definitely no Roger Brown!!! Is he still there? God he is/was awful.

3. Roger Brown took the buyout. Not sure what he's doing now.

Roger was one of my favorite reads. I liked his notes column.

4. In addition to his regular sports column - - which is great - - Pluto also deserves credit for his regular columns on faith.

Speaking as someone who is highly skeptical of most organized religion, I've always appreciated the manner in which Pluto approaches this subject. I would hope he will continue the faith columns in the PD.

5. According to the PD story, he will continue to write the faith columns.

I found his faith columns increasingly...uh...weird. It wasn't so much the content (Pluto seems to subscribe to a cheery, relatively inoffensive brand of born-again Christianity) but the tone. The common-man writing style that Pluto employs is OK for sports, but in religion columns it reads like he is preaching to the mentally retarded.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Remember this gem?

I'm sorry. This man has lost a lot of his zip in the last 10 to 15 years. And a lot of it has to do with the faith bullshit.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

So whose retiring/leaving the PD that Pluto is coming aboard? Bud Shaw was doing a Page 2 thing on Sunday's that looked a lot like the Notes from Pluto columns.
    As for Reed coming back, unless he is making 3-hour commutes from Northeast Ohio to Columbus for work, the ABJ doesn't have the money anymore to afford him. Akron had their chance, they fucked up.

8. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I was strictly guessing on the Reed thing. I don't know him or his situation, I just knew he was still in Ohio and did great work when he was at Akron.

9. 20questions

20questions Guest

Good guess. Reed has already been contacted by the ABJ. No word on a decision, or how long they'll give him to make one. I believe ABJ's contract expires next year with the union, which should be cause for concern for anyone who would be low man on that totem pole.

10. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Why would Reed come back? He was already a columnist there and bolted when the paper started spiraling. It hasn't improved in a year, in fact it's gotten markedly worse.
    McManohan (sp?) gets the columnist gig. Ridenour moves to Browns, and they'll move a preps guy to cover Marla's old stuff. If they hire, and I doubt it, they'll be taking an entry level type, like they did when moving Windhorst into the Cavs beat.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wasn't the talk here last year that Ridenour was a much better takeout writer than beat writer? Maybe she doesn't want the Browns gig?

12. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

Reed was one of the guys cut when they started wielding the ax. If I recall correctly, enough people left that his job would have been saved, but he left anyhow because of the uncertainty around the place. If they pay him the right price, who knows? Maybe he comes back. But allegedly he's about to become one of the Blue Jackets' beat guys for the Dispatch. (He's a huge hockey fan). So which one: NHL beat guy for the Dispatch or columnist in Akron?

Draft saved Draft deleted