1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff white people like

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 19, 2008.

1. I'm Puerto Rican and I like half the things on that list, so it's not just white people.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. 21 Writers Workshops.

Hmm. ...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They got me on architecture, David Sedaris and Asian Girls (plus some other stuff), dammit

4. I guess I just don't get it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I assume that's because you're a black dude.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's because he's with pompano.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I knew there was something fishy about him.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Me too, not so much the Asian girls, but several others.
    Sedaris really is funny. My wife's favorite writer.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I wonder how long this site will last. I think it might be tough to come up with witty things everyday. I like how the fourth thing they thought of was Assists.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's like McSweeney's without the laughs. Which is something, really, given the low payoff-to-setup ratio in most McSweeney's humor pieces.

I toggle through stuff like this online all the time, and I guess I just don't see the value. The observations aren't very acute, and they aren't then synthesized into anything funny or more insightful or absurd. It's just this flat, deadpan rendering of some thing the writer assumes will spark recognition in a like-minded reader. It's one Williamsburg hipster out of the Writers' Workshop at SUNY Albany now forced to earn a living writing press releases for Ernst and Young sending a coded message to another. It's enough to type "Irony" - without further informing or deconstructing or even mocking that concept - to know that the recipient will nod in agreement and with a sense of shared contempt. "Volvo," "Wonderbread," "Mayonnaise," "PBR", "Tax consultants," are all worthy of inclusion, because these things are already understood by the writer and the reader (both raised in the suburbs and well-educated and bathed in the brands of their upbringing), to be contemptible or risible. As are things like "Graduate School" and "Gay Friends." The list is potentially endless because the parameters were meaningless to begin with.

It's a kind of affectless performance art - comedy without humor.

A perfect Zen, really, in which there is no personality, no sensibility, no set-up and no punchline. All that remains is the gesture. "This is funny because I typed it."

Eh.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I hate how all black people stereotype whites.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that's it not a laugh riot. It's kind of amusing. It's interesting that he doesn't pick the easy marks like NASCAR or Wonderbread, as you say.

I think the writer has a nice style where he is pointing out things without being too mean. It's interesting to see how the writer perceives something about you as a white person, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted