1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: You can only burn so many calories a day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For the past 29 years I've had a routine of moderate lifting three mornings a week for about 45 minutes, including about 10 minutes of stretching. I'll stretch then do three sets of three different exercises, which I switch out quarterly to ensure a good balance over time. Every quarter includes either squats, dead lifts or bench presses (barbell or dumbell).

As for eating, I start with a good breakfast then taper meals the rest of the day. While I do like to have a few drinks, I haven't had a soda since 1985. My weight is about the same now as it was when I was 25 and has never fluctuated more than 2-3 pounds up or down.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sounds like you found that sweet spot, cran.

cranberry likes this.
  3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm not going to go into my entire history but for a number of reasons, I'm not able to exercise. That means it's all up to what I eat. 10 years ago, I lost 25 lbs. on Weight Watchers. I've kept most of it off but as I've gotten older and as I've gotten more and more lax with following WW and portion control, I've gotten to be bigger than I'd like.

I haven't hit the bottom yet to get me back into the mindset of keeping track of what I eat. The WW app is great for me...when I use it.

For me there's no "I'll work it off." I have to just not eat it in the first place. A few things that help: I don't like cheese, I don't add sugar to anything and I hardly drink alcohol. What doesn't help: I don't cook and therefore eat a lot of processed food.

The time I eat doesn't seem to matter. I grew up in a family that regularly had coffee and cake at 10:30 pm. Caffeine has no effect on me (mixed blessing). I do get a lot of sleep, which probably helps. Fewer hours awake=less time to eat!

Lugnuts and cranberry like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That last line about fewer hours awake is key for me, Dyno. It's amazing how getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night (instead of 4-5) makes a big difference in appetite and eating.

Another problem is having a snack when I get home about midnight, and need an hour or so to wind down (usually with a book). It's real easy to mindlessly reach for a few pretzels, cookies, etc.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ugh. You buy muscle mags?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, this is why you are so good at Sheep.

cranberry likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No!

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You watch gladiator movies?

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

This is an idiotic article. The more you exercise the more calories you burn. Tour de France riders eat up to 8,000 calories/day just to maintain their body weight.

To lose weight a person should exercise and eat sensibly. Very few things in this world are certain, this is one of them. The sun rises in the east, and if you exercise and eat well you will lose weight. Period.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

We all can't ride a bike up the Alps or Pyrenees for three weeks.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The best thing about exercise is the positive impact it has on your back and knees, and the increased lightness on your feet and mobility. It's amazing, and difference you can really notice and feel.

The point about late-night/overnight eating -- something I fight all the time because I'm a terrible insomniac -- is well-taken, because that is obvious food/calories that you wouldn't be eating if you were doing what you should be doing: sleeping.

And ThomsonONE, I understand what you're saying, but that wouldn't be true forever. People do reach a sweet/settling/best point or range where it takes a lot to change. For the better, that is, not for the worse. Changing things for the worse is incredibly, shockingly easy.

But, of course, that's the problem.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if Tour de France riders have different metabolisms than the rest of us. just spitballing.

Draft saved Draft deleted