1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study suggests depression is being overdiagnosed on a remarkable scale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That wasn't a jab, Bodie, he's actually right.

I'd put in 12- to 14-hour days -- 7 days a week -- in the last newsroom. *That* is workaholic.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy who spent a minimum of 80 hours a week in the office, and that's a conservative estimate. He was a workaholic. The only time he left the office was to go ride his bike.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything critical.

I specifically acknowledged that working 55-60 hours a week on the ramp would be exhausting.

But, it's not the stuff of workaholics. It's five 11s or five 12s a week. That's a typical restaurant manager or kitchen employee's week.

When you're pulling five 16s, or seven 12s, then you're getting into workaholic territory.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The statistic that 48 percent of people use a prescription each week doesn't shock me and I don't see a lot of problems with it.

A lot of people, as they get older, need medicine for high blood pressure and other cardiac-related matters. When you think about people who take prescription medicine for things like allergies, depression, asthma, and any number of things, it shouldn't surprise anybody that 48 percent of adults take prescriptions.

Big Pharma can be criticized for the way medicine is distributed, but the improvement of prescription medicine over the past 30 years have made people's lives so much better. When I was growing up in the early to mid 60s, I got mumps, measles, and chicken pox. I never got rubella, which was called German Measles. Rubella caused many children to lose their hearing. When I got one of these diseases, I would be out of school for a week or two. Now, there are immunizations which prevent these diseases (I'm not sure about chicken pox; somebody correct me on this).

The advances in prescription medicines are probably the biggest advancement in the United States in the last 35 years. More than personal computers, more than cell phones, more than any technical devices for any communication or entertainment.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. And I'm wondering if the number would be even higher counting the antacids and allergy medicines that were once prescription and are now over-the-counter.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hate puff pieces like this -- and this guy in particular is a douche -- but it shows the kind of hours you have to put in if you own multiple restaurants and/or clubs:

Draft saved Draft deleted