1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Retirement at 65 no longer realistic for many

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 10, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, you're in your car, but you still can't start it, right? Did you have a spare set in the car?

I suppose Panama City is cheaper than Chicago, but at $55.00 a pop down there, you'd live pretty well if you opened 5-12 cars a day.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wife had her purse in the car. And it is a major tourist town. He could have charged $120 and no one would bat an eye. And he was even set up to take credit cards on the spot.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Got it. Lucky you had a second set of keys.

There's a relatively new gadget called Square:

https://squareup.com/

It allows you to use your iPhone to accept credit cards and you don't need your own credit card processing account.

All of the food truck guys in Chicago are using it.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Or you could just join AAA, where opening your car is free. With the maps, travel planning service, towing service and taking the place of the local DMV for license renewal, its well worth the $60 or so a year.

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

YF, I use Square myself and it is a great device. Simple, instant invoice for the buyer and a good rate for credit transactions-2.75 percent flat fee.

Bob: I agree on the health care point. Without the ACA I'd be far more hesitant to do what I'm doing now, and if it gets repealed I'd have to reconsider my occupation. Never understood why the democrats didn't promote the bill in those terms. Then again there's a lot they did in that period I questioned.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Saw a musician friend of mine last night and she's got one of those things. Looked a hell of a lot simpler than the old carbon press thing she had a few years ago.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Really? I started my 401 at 26 or 27 and my prospectus still says I'm fucked. How much are you putting away per week? Because I'm not even close to being able to start nest egg.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Most of these formulas say you need 85 percent of your pre-retirement income in retirement.

I think that's nuts. Assuming your house is paid for and you qualify for Medicare, your two biggest expenses (mortgage and health insurance) won't exist. So you might be in better shape than the formula says.

I put away about $143 per week.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I am on the Budd Dwyer retirement plan

10. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

You don't have to be rich at 25 to fund your 401k. If you aren't putting enough into your 401k every week to at least the your full employer match, you are just throwing money away. I started my 401k when I was 23 and I was making a low-level starting journalist salary. I didn't go on crazy vacations. I didn't buy a big screen TV. I didn't have a nice apartment... but I won't be working when I am 75. It's a trade off. If you decide you have to have nice stuff immediately, don't expect to have an easier retirement.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My solution is to eat so many porterhouses and drink so many Guinesses that 65 is a remote possibility. I can do it. I know I can.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Jesus! If I could afford to put away $143 I wouldn't need to worry about retirement either. My paycheck is barely $60 above that.

Sigh. I guess that's why I work two jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted