1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Newspapers still a step ahead in local news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Jan 11, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Probably most if not all here saw the story, but I figured I would post it for discussion anyway.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed by the study since findings are based on a narrow geographic and time frame, stories in Baltimore July 19-25 of last year. I would like to think (and hope) local papers throughout the country on any given week produce more local stories than entities like local TV, even with cutbacks. But to use such a narrow scope to reach a conclusion is an invitation for disagreement and arguments about the merits of the study, especially from non-newspaper folks.
    Just look at the week selected: July 19-25 would be a prime vacation time for many. Budget seasons over, school is out, most local sports done, etc. If the study had covered multiple weeks at various times of the year, IMO that would add a great deal of credibility.
  2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I don't know what our local television stations would do if they didn't have our paper to mine features from.
  3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Ditto. I still believe newspapers are way ahead of TV. Online, I also think newspapers are ahead of the gun there as well.
  4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Seriously. How is this news? It's not even close.
    The problem is that we, as newspapers, don't do a good enough job telling people this. TV stations are incessantly tooting their own horn. NPR has a great national brand that filters down to its local affiliates (who rarely do much to write home in the local news department). And, while the online local news nonprofits get a lot of buzz these days, I don't see much in them that the local papers aren't doing at least as well.
    Yet we're the dinosaurs.
Draft saved Draft deleted