1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: NBA Refs are racist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 2, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The study also determined that if there are 6 white players on the floor at any one time, you probably made a wrong turn and are watching the consolation game of the ALL Iceland High School Basketball Tournament

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Can't Stop the Bleeding points out the NY Times also talked to one of the study's authors last year for his report purporting to prove that one out of every 20 college games is fixed:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=5194

Tony Stewart had no comment.

3. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Has anyone checked out the actual study? It's available here - http://bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/jwolfers/Papers/NBARace.pdf

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why does the NBA allow 80% of it's players to be black? Is it to dupe them into a false sense of accomplishment, reward them with hundreds of millions of dollars, only to call more fouls on them?

Does the report address why the league is disproportionately not white?

5. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

I think they're saving that for the sequel.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet Stern knew this study was coming out when he made his decision on Joey Crawford.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's a solid point, Boom.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Considering the NYT story says Stern saw the study a year ago, I'd say that's a safe bet.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

But did he know when the study was going to hit the press? I think that's what Boom's saying

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Page 29: Unfortunately our framework is not well-suited to sorting out whether these results are driven by the actions of black or white referees.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - and I am sure it weighed heavily on his Crawford decision. Crawford outburst could not have come at worse time.

White ref challenging one of most respected players in game to fight. Said player happens to be black.

It would lend credence to study.

12. boots

boots New Member

This is a stupid study. The assclown who swrote it, probably for a doctorate will be teaching this shit to kids some day. No wonder this country is all fucked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted