1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: More 18- to 34-year-olds live with parents than anywhere else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 25, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I should clarify that I'm more interested in flipping than renting. Doubt I'd want to put up with the hassles of property management for some asshole college students.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Some do. And some insist the seller meet them in the middle or they'll walk away (seller has something at stake, too, and it might be worth it not to have to put the house on the market again). Then again, part of a buyer's real-estate agent's job is to have a pretty good idea what the appraisal will say and get the buyer the house for the lowest possible price (which typically means coming in with an offer below the appraisal).

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Don't you have to do a most of the work yourself to have a chance of making money?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's easy if you have a twin brother.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Left at 17. They gave me a hundred twenty five bucks for a washing machine, and I ain't looked back.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not if you can find undocumented immigrants that will do the work for a low wage.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I looked for two years before finding my current house, making several offers during that time. Each offer included an appraisal contingency that allowed me to walk away if the appraisal was not at least as much as the contract price. I used this with one house to get the sellers to come down on their price. I was confident the appraisal would come in low and then the sellers would have to either come down or I'd walk. They did come down, although I walked for other reasons.

I also inserted language that started the time running for things like the inspection from the date of the appraisal so I wouldn't sink money into inspections only to find the house didn't appraise and we weren't able to agree on a price or be jammed on time to get this stuff done.

The appraisal contingency language came on a standard form. I wrote in the timing language.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We used our escalation clause probably more than we should have, and ended up getting the bid at $7,000 above asking. The appraisal then came in $5,000 below asking, and the seller came down by the entire 12 grand immediately.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have an appraisal contingency, either. Maybe we were just lucky to avoid drama.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not even Hulk Hogan, apparently.

dixiehack and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That has the makings of a Johnny Cash song. Or at least Kris Kristofferson.

three_bags_full likes this.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd rather hear Johnny sing it, than Kris. He's Dylan-awful.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't look back, son
    Don't be seen
    Here's all our money --
    for a washin' machine

Draft saved Draft deleted