1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: More 18- to 34-year-olds live with parents than anywhere else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 25, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it be "... it was about 'pretending' that you did it all yourself"? I get confused about all that heavy-hitting journalism expertise you have at your disposal. If only I'd gotten more help from my parents ...

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The same with me. It felt like a huge comedown in my life when I had to move back home after college and it turned out to be a nightmare, just because my parents weren't used to their son wanting to not be in bed by 10 p.m. anymore.

Financially, it was also the same with me. College cost much less back then, so I only had a couple thousand in student loans. Looking at the financials of my public school alma mater for nowadays, one could probably end up in $40-$50K in debt if they maxed out federal and state grants and got loans for the rest, with some work on their own and help from their parents. Can't imagine how much of a burden that is on today's grads.

3. Baron Scicluna

Why would I be quoting myself? You use quotes when you use another person's words.

What was your doctorate degree in? Basketweaving?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait, so all of YOUR achievements and wild successes have been a fraud? After all this time we learn you're one of the privileged?

5. Baron Scicluna

I've never claimed I've done all my accomplishments on my own, nor I have ever lectured others that they can do it on their own. You are, of course, more than welcome to find my posts to the contrary.

6. doctorquant

Postmodern punctuation ...

7. doctorquant

This is absolutely correct. You've been very consistent in insisting that, unless it's done via government, it can't be done.

8. Baron Scicluna

How many people have achieved major success on their own, without any help from anyone?

9. doctorquant

Run along and see if you can rope someone else into playing with your strawman ...

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. Next thing you know, Starman will be recanting his spelling bee glories.

11. Baron Scicluna

Hey, you're the one who decided to bring me into this. And now, you run away. Again.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I moved back home when I was 22 and stayed for four years, but I did it initially so I could pay for college without racking up any debt. Of course, working in newspapers got in the way and I eventually dropped school for full-time work about halfway through that stretch, but my initial plan worked, as I eventually got a degree without a cent of college debt. I also was able to save enough money to put a down payment on my first house when I was 26.

Draft saved Draft deleted