1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: More 18- to 34-year-olds live with parents than anywhere else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 25, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ah, good ... So we have to ignore only 32.4 percent of GDP in the decades to come. :p

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There was no way in hell I was ever moving back in with my parents during my 20s. Now as I'm much closer to 40 than 21, and they're both having some serious health problems, I'm having to consider whether living with them again to manage their care makes sense.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My grandmother lived with my mom for about the last 15 years. We finally had to put her in a home a couple of months ago because she had gotten too frail and was falling. (Her mind is still sharp as a tack.) My mom still works full-time, as well, and we had to convince her that this wasn't some betrayal on her part, but that she was no longer capable of providing adequate round-the-clock care.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I would have considered moving back in with my mother after leaving for college to be absolute failure on my part.

That was, however, a time with a lower financial burden for a young person. I got out of college debt-free because I was able to work full-time. Tuition was $1,550 a semester my final year of college and rent was $350 a month. I was actually pushing $10,000 in my checking account before journalism bled it all away during the search for my first job in TV news and that first year of making $16,500 to work in the business.

If our kids had to move back after or during college, I would have sharp rules in place for a time frame and an exit point but I would be sympathetic to this path if it were merely financial.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A lot of people hire caregivers to provide that adequate round-the-clock support. Allows the frail, falling person to stay at home.

Relative of mine has been doing that ever since she retired.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Feel the Bern!

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. I know this is exaggerated because I'm in the Bay Area, but living expenses (room, share of utilities, maybe a parking spot) are going to cost a minimum of $1,500-$2,000 for a young person. And that's with a roommate or multiple-roommate situation in a not-great (but safe) place. I imagine that's the case in bigger cities throughout the U.S.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right there with you. Hell, there's a little part of me that'd be perfectly happy to have elder DaughterQuant move right on back in for the long haul.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course, if my daughter was like I was at that age, I'd kick her ass out of the house in a heartbeat.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hope and pray every day that neither of my kids end up like I was in my 20s.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I toured a new home community in an upper-middle-class town in SoCal a few weeks ago, and 5 of the 6 homes had either mother-in-law suites or casitas, and the agent said they are a must in new home builds now "but they're used just as much for the 20-somethings as for the 80-somethings."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which would be an inaccurate headline because it wasn't about getting help from your parents, it was about pretending that you did it all yourself.

I would think you would know that, but what should we expect from someone who doesn't understand the journalistic practice of quoting?

Draft saved Draft deleted