1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Media tougher on Obama than McCain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Jul 27, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

But they still can't figure out how to make more parking spots than cars.

2. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

But, Dan Rather reported that George W Bush went AWOL!

Losing politicians whine about media bias.

See Clinton, Hillary.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They must not have included Newsweek and CNN in the studies.
    2008 covers on Newsweek: Obama six, McCain two.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

OK, and your empirical data about CNN is ...? And Fox News?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, because those Obama covers about Rev. Wright were positive coverage.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this on another thread but I'm curious as to how "the media" should handle this campaign. Not report some positive Obama news if there isn't a corresponding amount of positive McCain news. Play up negative Obama news to balance the public perception of its unfairness to McCain? When I see a talking point on FOX that there is a question whether Obama's trip to Europe and the Mideast will help or hurt him, I'm really wondering if it isn't the latter. Of course, the first job should be accuracy, and if the media is having to play down McCain's gaffe's (imagine if Obama was caught saying some of the things McCain has said) in order to keep him competitive, what does that say about the industry?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As I've said before, there was a three-month period where Obama was actually contesting a primary and McCain wasn't. I suppose we needed updates every time McCain scratched an itch or addressed a VFW group.

But, then, heaven forbid Newsweek actually report the news, rather than keeping its eye on its office toteboard of who's gotten more coverage.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Where does it say that candidates should get equal news coverage?

Obama is driving the debate in this election; McCain is only offering attacks on Obama. Why should the media cover McCain when he has no ideas?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can see it now. The experts are in the room evaluating positive and negative comments by the media.

Some talking head on CNN says: "Well, I don't think he's Jesus Christ."

And they put that down for a negative.

I don't believe a word of this study. Neither, by the way, do media critics such as Howard Kurtz.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Glen Beck and BillO have praised this thinktank in the past.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The idea that McCain hasn't ever gotten favorable treatment from the political media is simply laughable.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But you believe anyone who says "The media favors Obama!!!!!!11!!!ONE!" unfailingly and without question, because it's what you know in your heart of hearts to be true, no matter what data actually gets presented to suggest that it's not.

I'll ask this again, because no one answered it the last time. What do you want the "media," however you define that, to do? Have a toteboard in the office of how many stories get done about each candidate, and each time one has a lead of more than three, he gets shut off until the other guy catches up?

Draft saved Draft deleted