1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Congress getting dumber!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 22, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This says members of Congress are speaking at almost a full grade-level lower than they did a few years ago. In a weird twist, the study says the 10 worst speakers in Congress are all Republicans, yet eight of the 10 best speakers are also GOPers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/congressional-discourse-getting-dumber-study-says/2012/05/21/gIQA5tWFgU_blog.html

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And Leon's getting LAAAAAARGER!!!

[​IMG]

Edit: My only regret is that this was not my original response on this thread. :D

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you believe the idea that the GOP is made up of a bunch of super-smart people cynically manipulating the dumbass half of the country into voting against their own self-interest, this makes sense.

But don't worry, Creosote. You're one of the super-smart ones!

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought that was what the Republicans were saying about the Democrats.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

By the way, does anyone take issue with the premise that using longer words and sentences and more syllables and characters means one is more intelligent (or at least more advanced in terms of grade level)?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I do ... :D

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Posited: Congresspeople aren't the only ones getting dumber.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Congress getting dumber. What a revelation.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why? When was it smart to begin with?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did we really need a study to determine Congress is getting dumber? :D

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

William Faulkner, speaking of Ernest Hemingway: ‘He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.’

And Hemingway’s response: ‘Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?’

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

I am skeptical of a list that does not include Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.) among the 10 dumbest.

Draft saved Draft deleted