1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Students looking for their big break ... would you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Oct 10, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ya know, I live in Rhode Island. If the Projo was going on strike, I would seriously consider it. I really would.

Call me a scab, call me what you want, but in this day and age it might be the only way to get up the ladder.

That being said, I doubt I would go through with it. A.) Because I'm a pussy, B.) Because I respect a lot of the writers that work there and C.) Because I know that I wouldn't like it it the situation were reversed.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing. My first thought would have been the clips. But then I would think about how I was getting them, and I wouldn't do it. Hence the tempting, but I would never do it post.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's hardly immoral. Not a good idea, though.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What would be tempting?

You would have a job.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When I was in college, I worked for my hometown newspaper as a part-timer and really liked it, liked the staff -- they were both mentors and friends to me -- and of course, I loved doing it in my hometown.

But when I graduated, they didn't have anything for me and told me to go out and get some experience, and maybe I could return some day. So I went to work for the 20,000 circulation paper down the road an hour.

About six months in, the staff at my local paper struck, and the sports editor was on the phone with a job offer. And he really laid it on: "Ya know, buddy, there might not be another offer like this, maybe ever. This is a great opportunity for you."

At the time, that was my dream job -- living in my hometown, covering sports for the morning newspaper there. And both my and my first wife's families lived there.

I just couldn't do it. I wouldn't have been able to look those people in the eye if I took a job that might mean somebody might not get theirs back, or if my working gave the paper less incentive to settle the strike. And, frankly, there was a selfish issue, too: Perhaps when they finally settled, getting jobs back would be part of it, and I'd be out on the street.

So I said no. And I urge anybody in a similar situation to say no, too. Getting a job is important, but some things are more important, and there are too many downsides, personally, professional and ethically.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Because those students are fighting for a better livelihood. And for the record, I wouldn't do it, unless I was on the verge of becoming homeless. No way you're getting another job when it basically says you are a scab on your resume.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

don't do it. And the paper is a scumbag for preying on students.

8. this is the correct answer, especially the part about preying on young adults, though in this job market, i could understand why a student would leap at this.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd probably think about it for a few seconds. After all, getting the opportunity to say I wrote for a major metro is something I've wanted for a while.

However, that would be short-lived. And I'd have to walk away from that "opportunity." The resentment I'd invite just isn't worth it.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: thread title, no.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I worked part-time for a paper while I was a college student back in the 90s. I was laid off and my position was replaced by an "unpaid internship." Management had the balls to approach a friend of mine, who promptly told management to fuck off.

I can understand the position of a college kid. You're looking for a break, somewhere to start, but it's just not worth it in a situation like this. Working under shitty conditions is why this profession is so fucked up. It's why no one can make a respectable wage. It's why people don't get overtime or comp time. It's why people give in and work during vacation. Undermining people who are trying to get a fair shake is no good.

12. I once worked for someone who scabbed at the NYDN back in the early 80s. ... He's still paying the price for it today. It's held against him at every job he applies for.

Draft saved Draft deleted