1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Students looking for their big break ... would you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/10/10/mtl-gazettestrike1010.html?ref=rss

Journalism students offered work in case of Gazette strike
    Last Updated: Friday, October 10, 2008 | 11:17 AM ET Comments4Recommend7
    CBC News

Canwest News Service is recruiting journalism students from Concordia University to replace workers at the Montreal Gazette in case there is a strike or lockout.

CBC News has learned that several students were approached with offers to work for the news service on a fill-in basis, in case Gazette editorial, advertising and sales staff decides to execute their strike mandate.

Journalism student Dominique Jarry-Shore received a call from a Canwest editor asking her whether she would be interested in writing for the newspaper.

"He explained that it was because of the contentious labour negotiations that were going on and the possibility of a strike, and that he was trying to line up people to write for him," said Jarry-Shore, who has written on a freelance basis for the Gazette in the past.

She declined, despite what she called the enticing nature of the offer.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Oy vey....baaaaaaaad idea.

When I was a student at the University of Western Ontario, the London Free Press went on strike. One of our photogs took pics for them at a football game. Suffice it to say, it was never forgotten.

However, now that I think of how badly some unions are getting crushed, maybe there would be fewer repercussions.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's not about whether these student can get away with it without suffering repercussions. Being a scab -- undermining a fellow worker involved in a job dispute -- is immoral.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

First thing that came to mind was CanWest plucking middle management types from throughout the chain to cover during the Herald strike.

There was nothing pretty about that, either.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It might be an excellent opportunity to get some good clips for your BLOG!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's really bad of management to screw with students this way. Beyond the reaction of their peers, if these are full-time jobs with no set beginning and ending time, they expecting the kids to just shelve school?

Bastards.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It's been more than a few years since I lived in Montreal, but isn't Concordia predominantly French-speaking? Shouldn't the Gazette be recruiting at McGill?

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Bad idea anytime, but especially in my favorite distinct society, which is a pro-union environment -- a big dif when comparing it to breaking the union at the Herald.

YD&OHS, etc

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It'd be tempting, but there's no way I would end up doing it.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

What would be tempting about taking another person's job when they're fighting for a better livelihood?

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I would never do it, but I know of people who have done it recently and the repercussions weren't very severe. The unions just don't have any teeth anymore to make scabbing the hell it should be. :'(

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Makes me want to never again touch a CanWest publication.

Draft saved Draft deleted