1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student with a question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TRabinowitz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really? I'm 12 years out of college and gainfully employed (well, for now, anyway).

But hell, you said I can't get a job. Guess I better get used to eating government cheese.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and drinking government Kool Aid

3. spud

spud Member

Responses like these further my view that journalists themselves are doing more to drive the profession into the ground than are outward forces. Seems like an unnecessary whiplash to me.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, it's just somebody bitter with their own life, and he's projecting it upon all of us.

I fully intend to be gainfully employed until I retire on my own terms, and it's going to be in PRINT journalism.

P.S. If you spell "can't" without an apostrophe, maybe you CAN'T get a print job.

5. TRabinowitz

TRabinowitz New Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I am taking a preliminary course in journalism to see how I like the course work and then will decide whether to stay in journalism or to stay in TV/Video.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but you're like two years from retirement age, aren't you? :D

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd go back and read what bigsleeper wrote several posts up. he pretty much nailed it. if you're interested in this profession, minor in journalism with an out as a major. and when i'm filling a job, clips impress me much more than someone's major.

8. Correct my misconception about the video/production end of things, but if you're working in that area, don't you have the opportunity to write as a producer? Seems to me that's the technical background you want, with the ability to write. But I have advised students generally against getting into print journalism without some kind of technical (video, Internet, etc) expertise. At our shop, that's where all the growth is.

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

That's not entirely true. In all seriousness, for example, many foreign correspondents have master's degrees.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't pay as much attention to whether someone went to Big Time Nationally-Known J School or majored in English Lit at Podunk State as some might. If your clips are great, they will be freshest on my mind when it's time to schedule the second interview.

11. How big is your shop? Because I think editors at big papers do care. I think it's stupid, but I think they care.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah. a mizzou degree and shitty clips are all folks are looking for these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted