1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 6, 2010.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Once at Tulane, a classmate of mine wore an LSU shirt to class. The professor told him, "If you ever wear that in here again, I'll kill ya. And then I'll fail your ass."

2. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

You really think that the "dress code" was so rigidly important that they couldn't have made an exception for the kid who is actually from Indianapolis? I guess you could argue that it would be a distraction to the other kids, but I can't buy that a Colts jersey on the kid from Indy, who presumably everybody knows moved from Indy, is some huge distraction that is going to interfere with learning that day.

Have a heart.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then keep the kids wearing the school uniform then.

School is forcing the kid to choose to either become a Saints fan, or to be neutral. Since the school set a precedent of allowing kids to wear a jersey to support their team, then they should be prepared that not every kid will want to root for the Saints.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Wearing a jersey for one day or not does not decide what sort of fan you are.

5. What if they said everyone had to wear a John McCain T-shirt on election day?

6. RickStain

1) Politics aren't sports. Political speech is a specially protected class for a good reason.
    2) Even if they did, it wouldn't be forcing anyone to "become a McCain fan or be neutral"

7. RickStain

This is why we can't have nice things.

Was it a little unfair to the kid? Yes. So what?

If you let the kid wear a Colts jersey, you have to start making other exceptions. The whole thing becomes such a big hassle it's not even worth doing it anymore, so you just keep the regular dress code that day. A whole bunch of students don't get to have a little bit of fun because one student can't accept the fact that sometimes life will be a little unfair to him.

8. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

"I'm a huge Evan Bayh supporter. Bayh is voting differently on a key issue than the two Louisiana senators, and this, wearing this jersey, seemed like a symbolic way for me to stand by the Indiana senator's stance on this issue."

9. RickStain

That's clearly a lie.

10. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

Why?

Sports is used to score political points all the time. Hillary Clinton parading around New York state in a Yankees hat in 1999 comes to mind.

11. RickStain

Because it is.

Trying to pull that as a political speech issue is no different than if I were to say that being naked in public is part of my religion, so I don't have to wear clothes at all. Religion is protected, isn't it?

People have this fantasy of the legal world that if you can make some sort of extremely technical argument, everyone is forced to respect it. Nope, not the case.

No reasonable person would ever try to wear that jersey for that reason.

12. I could probably find you a thousand different examples of when someone used a sports team to show support for a state. What about everyone wearing Virginia Tech gear in light of the shooting?

Forget the Bayh example. The kid was from Indiana. Is it really unreasonable that he would use that opportunity to support his home state and its policies and place in the political landscape? Maybe he wouldn't quite articulate it that way, but it is perfectly reasonable.

Draft saved Draft deleted