1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In this story, a 17-year-old kid who had moved from Indianapolis to Louisiana chose to wear a Colts jersey (Joseph Addai) to school after the school relaxed its dress code for a 'Black and Gold' day so that kids could wear their Saints jerseys. Stupid principal told kid, "If you like Indiana so much, why don't you go back there?"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/student-says-he-was-sent-home-over-indianapolis-colts-jersey/?gt1=39002http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/student-says-he-was-sent-home-over-indianapolis-colts-jersey/?gt1=39002

Between the story of the NYC kids being punished for a two-inch toy gun and for doodling on the desk and this story, why does it seem like our school administrators lack common sense?

2. I'm not seeing that at all.
    1: The school has a dress code that was relaxed for Black and Gold day. Not wearing a jersey day, Black and Gold Day. How does equate a Colts jersey? Don't like it? Wear your uniform.
    2: The kid was NOT sent home. He was told he could not wear his jersey. See No. 1. ... This is typical bullshit IMO.
    No matter what you do somebody has to be the rebel. And then when they get called on it, cry and complain.

The kid made is point and got his five minutes of fame. Hooray for him and Justice.

I hope the Saints kick the shit out of the Colts and the kid gets hung up in the girls bathroom by his underpants first thing Monday morning.

END of RANT.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What? You mean administrators, school boards and those who run our public schools are idiots?

Well hello Captain obvious..... ::)

4. Baron Scicluna

Why should the kid be told to that he has to essentially root for the Saints, or for nobody?

If the school didn't want kids to wear the opposing team's jersey, then they shouldn't have had any jersey day. They shouldn't have relaxed the dress code then.

5. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

The principal needs a humor transplant. The kid wasn't necessarily "trying to be the rebel." He was freaking from Indianapolis. He didn't wear a LeBron jersey or a Derek Jeter jersey or even a Chris Paul jersey. He was in good fun representing his home town, the other team in the Super Bowl.

So he violated the letter of the law. Whoop de damned do. He very much was within the spirit of it.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hey give the principal a break, he was simply enforcing the Zero Tolerance clause and we all know how intelligent those policies are....... ::)

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He asked if he could do it beforehand. He was told no. He did it anyway. He was told he couldn't. He cried about it.

*yawn*

8. Baron Scicluna

Problem is, he shouldn't have been told no.

Not to go all crazy here, but it's like the whole argument of school prayer. You have people who say they want prayer in schools. What they mean is, they want their prayers to their god.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's the big deal with being told no? I would have let him if I were the principal, but I don't see the big deal about being told no either.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Because they deal with pain-in-the-ass kids and their even bigger-pain-in-the-ass parents on a daily basis. Nearly all of which have an enormous persecution complex. And nearly all of which are ready to cry foul at the first sign of the slightest provocation.

Don't want to take part in Black and Gold Day? As Evil said, wear your fucking uniform. Or stay your ass home. Particularly if you've been told ahead of time not to wear it.

11. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

Well, OK. Then he shouldn't have worn it.

Still a staggering lack of humor and heart.

The ACLU seems to think it's a First Amendment issue. They need to butt out, because they give the First Amendment a bad name by pushing it in cases like this. I know that technically he can say that wearing the jersey is "symbolic speech," but the school banned all non-black-and-gold garb. Content-neutral in other words (which makes me start to wonder if they let him wear his Addai jersey, if suddenly they have to make an exception for every idiot who wants to wear something different that day and suddenly, my head starts spinning).

12. mb

mb Active Member

He absolutely should have been told no.

From our friends at Teh Google, the reasons for school uniforms:

•Instilling discipline among students
    •Reducing need for administrators and teachers to be 'clothes police' (for example, determining whether shorts are too short, etc.)
    •Reducing distractions for students
    •Instilling a sense of community

Colts Boy pretty much pissed on every one of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted