1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student paper stealing quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buzzerbeater, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I confess that in my salad days I stole quotes. Not because I thought it was an easy way for me to get the story done and into the bar quicker, but because my editors told me it was okay to take quotes from the big paper in town. I did it for a year, then I realized on my own (since nobody at the school paper was going to do it) that it was wrong, and I stopped (they didn't, but fuck 'em).

It's possible that whoever is stealing your quotes is getting some real shit advice from people who should know better but don't (or choose not to know because they just don't care).

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

do not delay confronting the reporter, student editor or advisor. this needs to be taken care of right away. he's a student. it's a lesson. unfortunately it might lead to the end of his journalism career before it even got off the runway but he has to learn.

post back and let us know what you did and what result you got.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would go to the advisor... if a student was caught lifting answers on a test, they'd have to answer for it to a dean or someone in a given department. Why is this different?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it is different because many college papers do not offer the kind of structure and proper advisement that a student has in class. The kid should know better, but he may not. I say call him first and give him a chance to go to his editors and advisor and try to make amends.

Then call the advisor to find out if he did it. If not, fuck him up as much as possible.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but plagarism is basic journalism. Kid should have to have his hand held to know that its unethical and illegal.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would pull the kid aside and ask him where he got the quote... If he owns up to stealing your stuff, tell him not to do it again without crediting your paper... If he does it again, call his editor.

I had a similar experience happen to me several years back. I was the only person at a game and magically the quotes I got from a one-on-one with the coach wound up in a Monday edition of the five-day-a-week paper that was in town.

I went nuts and found out later than the SID took the quotes from my paper and sent them out in a "release" that the other papers got.

My point is... Proceed with caution...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, then get the "releases" from both SIDs and look for the quotes. If they aren't there, then there is no excuse for what the kid did.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's unimaginable the shit some college students do. I hated being the editor of a college paper.

9. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

Thanks for all your thoughts on the subject.
    And to the person who said I can't threaten anybody's journalistic life if I have to drive seven hours to a game, you're probably right.

Update: I spoke with the school's media relations guy who was at the game to see if there was any other way this kid could have possibly gotten those quotes. I was told no. His office made no player quotes available to other media.
    The SID called the newspaper general manager who agreed that the quotes had been stolen. The GM said that individual would not be seen covering that team home or away for awhile.
    As long as the kid knows what he did was wrong and he is disciplined for it, I'm satisfied.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You handled the situation properly.

11. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Is it any different, though, when the student reporters are following you around to every interview and never asking any questions — just taking the quotes you get?

That always irks me a little.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed, tho I probably did it in pack coverage in college too.
    However, at least they were there and making an effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted