1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student loans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, May 9, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Cut the football coaches' contracts in half.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi everybody:)

Buckweaver is right. I work part-time but that covers only books mostly. Books cost anywhere between $500-1000 a year let alone tuition at $300+ a credit hour.

Basically, if mommy and daddy aren't paying the bills, you're fucked. My parents paid for my first car but I paid it off in HS. I've been working a job since I was 14. I have $200 in my bank account right now. I get $0.00 from the parents.

And I'm in-state at Mizzou.

Here's the PER SEMESTER estimate from Mizzou next year:

Books and Supplies 490.00
    Room and Board 3,585.00 (my apartment will be cheaper)
    Loan Fees 24.00
    Personal & Transport Expenses 1,430.00
    Tuition and Fees 4,085.00
    Term Total 9,614.00

I didn't make $6000 working 60 hours a week during summer last year for 3 months.

If anyone has the best way to do this besides loans, let me know. But there's no way around this. Even a girl with a 3.98 in HS and a 31 on her ACT didn't get a full ride so let's just pin scholarships for the myth they are.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd be fine, absolutely fine, with that. Heck, set an NCAA salary/budget cap for athletic departments. Problem is, most of those coaches are being paid by boosters, not students.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. That's high. I think I paid $33 an hour for my senior-level classes.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think my education was $45 per credit after the initial entry fee of $500 or so. It's gone up a lot since then, I realize.

I have four kids, so believe me, I'm concerned about how much it will cost to educate them.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Exactly!!

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's a slippery slope. Universities pay out more than $1 billion a year to keep athletic departments afloat. Boosters do provide a lot of money, but in the arms race that is college athletics the school itself ends up paying for a lot of facilities improvements, increased staff salaries, increased travel costs, etc.

An area State U. just hired a big-name coach at a major salary increase over the last guy. Now that the stakes are raised, other coaches at the school want more money. And big-name coach is already bitching about the facilities, so they may have to spend other money to keep him longer. The more the stakes are raised, the more the university as a whole has to come up with more cash. The legislature approves tuition hikes each year, so what's another percentage point to help fund athletics?

What kills me are the universities that make students pay for tickets to athletic events. They're already paying for it! It's like double taxation!

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why have costs skyrocketed in the last 5-7 years?

Professors' salaries? I doubt it. Taxes? I doubt that's the answer, either.

Why does it now cost $11-15K for a year at most public in-state universities, when it cost a fraction of that a decade ago?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hi Simon! Thanks for providing the current-student viewpoint. What are your plans this summer?

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Dear dad, I want to thank you again for helping me pay for college. I hear a lot of horrific stories about paying off student loans and it always makes me grateful for your assistance, which allowed me to graduate debt free.

Thanks again (and tell mom I said hi),

John

11. KG

KG Active Member

If all four go to a regular state college, you might be able to get away with $215,000 in total, assuming they will all be starting within the next 10 years and all live at home while they go.

Edit: That's just figuring tuition and assuming it won't make anymore dramatic spikes. Books will be more.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

When I graduated in 1990, at my school tuition, room and board, books, fees, etc., were about $20,000 a year. For the class entering this fall? It's $48,000. Almost $200K for 4 years. In 17 years it more than doubled. That's crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted