1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student loans

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, May 9, 2007.

1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

LJB, I think we found something we can agree on. I consolidated my student loans, and it was one of the best moves I ever made. Got my payments way down. Stretched it out, but the payments are now completely manageable.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks for explaining jfs. A lot of people don't realize how difficult it's become. I've been lectured by so many people about how coming in to a career, especially in this industry, you have to be willing to work for a low salary until you "pay your dues" and work your way up. That's fine with me, but when the pay is so low that I have to push the limits and pay the bills at the last possible minute, just to get by, it sucks.
    (Although coming up with creative ways to do it can be fun)

It's a subject that is slowly starting to be acknowledged, but for the most part is still being blamed on a bunch of 'lazy' generation X's as if they irresponsibly racked up the debt. We were preached to over and over (in middle and high school) about how times have changed and we no longer have a "choice" like our parents did on whether or not to go to college. Well wouldn't you know it...the slacker X's listened and now we (the ones who didn't get it paid for by our parents or scholarships) are stuck with a bill we cannot handle. For that we are chastised because we should have been more responsible and not racked up that kind of debt. It's that or we are lazy and are not trying to pay it off.

I'm sorry, I'm just bitter about it. To no ones fault but my own, I waited a few years after high school to go to college. When I did go, I never could get any scholarships even though the lowest grade I received the whole time was an A-. It seems I didn't fall into any categories on the specs list. Grrrrr Ok I'm done with that part.

I know it will eventually all pay off, but right now it is difficult. I would never discourage anyone from going to college, especially based on the trials of paying off student loans. I would however discourage people who will have to pay it back on their own from going to any school that costs more than another one from their options that would pretty much give the same educational results.

On that note, how important do some of you think the actual school you go to really is when it comes to your career? Do many employers really hire based on where people went to school?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bush might have gone to school at Yale, but that didn't help him too much with regard to smarts. Likewise, if you got it, you got it. It might help your clout with Mizzou, Syracuse, Northwestern or KU on the resume, but you don't need it. Good journalists come from everywhere.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can make connections at certain schools. A Northwestern or Columbia or Missouri degree is going to raise eyebrows when looking at resumes and presumably if you went to a really good school, you would have more opportunities to make contacts by getting better internships or just cozying up to alums.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Kathy, don't worry. You are in the same boat with most of people like me 30-under. It's ridiculous. And I am sick of my older colleagues treating me like student loans is a right of passage. One co-worker finally understands what it is like when his kid went to colelge. He saved for 18 years, and he was able to pay for 1 year of school for the kid.

Student loans are killing young professionals in all industry's. Was at 10 year high school reunion, and every person who went to college was either still living at home, in a rental, or a condo. None of them had children and only a handful married with homes.

Those who went to work right out of high school had homes, children, and nicer cars. Our lives were so different. WTF?

In 20 years it may be better. But it was striking the difference in lifestyle.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm a big, big fan of getting a job while you're in high school and college and saving that money to pay for college.

I'd much rather graduate in six years debt free -- which is what I did -- than graduate in four years with $50,000 in debt.

I don't mean to sound uppity. If you can't afford a private school for undergrad, go to a public school -- it will be a lot less expensive and pretty much just as good of an education. Nothing wrong with a undergrad degree from UMass instead of Boston College.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Your right about the UMass over Boston College angle, but even for a state school in the Northeast, schools like UMass and UConn are prohibitive. If you don't want to live on campus, and live nearby at home, that's the best option. That way you can make $13,000 a year and do it.

But, if for any reason you are getting room and board, it is nearly impossible to do it on a part-time job. How much is a part-time job working nights worth a year? You can't waitress yourself an entire tuition plus room and board. Juggling a full-time job with class? Good luck.

There are ways to get to done, but it is much more difficult. Especially with a deferred loan option, which many students do without actually thinking it through (I raise my hand).

I am now a firm believer in going to a junior/community college for two years until you figure out your major.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

"Six years of college down the drain ..."

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You may have a good point, Twoback. I wonder if I can call myself a success professionally many times. :)

But, I do have a job, owned a home long before my wife was able to really help pay for it and have zero student loan debt.

And, yes, jfs, I worked full time while juggling a (mostly) full time college experience. My wife, likewise, graduated with a B.S. and an M.S. with no student loan debt before going on to even more grad school. I realize this was waayyyyy back in the good old days of the 1990s, but it can be done.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet she had a loan in grad school, though.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Med school, yes. For her master's degree in biochemistry, no.

We decided the loans for the M.D. were a worthwhile investment.

Loans for a B.S. in mass communications, on the other hand, are probably not as sound a way to go.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, my goodness. I hope you realize I just was quoting my all-time fave movie, Animal House. Just being silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted