1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student loan debt question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I finished up 3 years of college in 2 years while working full time at the paper when I lived in Alabama a few years ago. I used loans to pay for school, and every semester, I'd get a refund back depending on how many credits I was taking that semester. Usually a few hundred bucks, never more than a thousand. Most times, I sent it right back to them to apply to the loan. One semester, I said eff it and kept it, using it for the scam that is known as the textbook purchase and other, more important, things like pitchers of beer.

It was always tempting to keep it. All told, I was about 13K in the hole after finishing up. And that was after paying for the first semester (or two, I can't recall) out of pocket. And one semester was paid for while I "worked" as the "SE" of the "school paper." Still not bad.

2. Not bad at all. I know people who will chunk up $13K in one year of school with no job, and you can find them at the bar eight days a week. That's what gets me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In my next life I want to own a college-town bookstore. A liquor store would be nice, but not ahead of that textbook racket.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'll bite. That's what I did. About 70% of my student load debt is from doing just that. I was young and stupid, and my parents in no way prepared me for the seriousness of what I was doing.

Now I'm totally screwed. After all of my other bills are paid, there is no money left to pay my loans, and all of my deferments are up. I'm scrambling to find a new job to make enough for the sole reason to pay off my loans.

I'm really at a loss of what to do.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Outside of those in math and science fields, no college student should be paying full price for books. Despite often having to buy 15-20 books a semester (some history classes had 5-7 by themselves), I don't think I ever paid more than $200 for books in a semester. Usually I was around $125-$150. With Amazon, Half, etc., there's no reason to be paying full price.

6. CNY

CNY Member

What sucks is when the professor assigns a custom textbook that you cannot get anywhere but the campus bookstore. And the textbook changes every semester, so there are no used versions available.

7. The new trend with books is to simply eliminate the used books market by creating new editions every year with something slightly different each year.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

From my personal experience, that was doable in some cases. Certainly not all.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are definitely exceptions, but in most cases, it's much easier for liberal arts students than science/math students.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

An independent university bookstore in my alma mater's town last year sold its business for $1 mil and its property for $1 mil. Not toooooo bad.

11. CNY

CNY Member

I worked in a college-town bookstore one summer. The markup on used textbooks is insane. And you can pretend you're giving students a great deal.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Forebearance. You still accrue interest, but you can get up to a year without payments. Then you can renew after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted