1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student editor self-publishes story after college pres spikes it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Good for this kid!

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/09/25/college-editor-publishes-story-on-his-own-after-its-spiked-by-administrators/

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My God, man. Tighten up those paragraph indents. You can redesign all you like when you self-publish.

Just being an ass. Great work by this kid.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Indeed.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

His career value just took a giant leap.
    Imagine how his job interviews will go now.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Bravo kid. Brav-fricken-O

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

lol Catoosa County, Georgia.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bryan College is about as far right a school you'll find this side of Liberty U. Actually, it's even more conservative than Liberty; hell, it's named after William Jennings Bryan of man-is-not-an-ape trial fame. So I can't imagine this kid thought he could get away with this story.

9. Bryan College is indeed a terrifying place. And for this kid to take such a step and defy authority in such an environment means he has an uncommon degree of courage. Sadly, it also increases the likelihood that he will back down, repudiate his article and make some sort of apology to get back in the cult's good graces.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

More from Romenesko: The editor asks for his original post to be removed. http://jimromenesko.com/2012/09/26/will-bryan-college-force-student-editor-to-resign/

And the college prez says killing the story "may have been a mistake." http://jimromenesko.com/2012/09/26/bryan-college-killing-story-about-professors-arrest-may-have-been-a-mistake/

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

From the Romenesko link:

This morning I talked to Bryan College Triangle adviser John Carpenter and asked: Are you aware that Alex Green called and asked me to remove the post?

The adviser said he was.

Did you or someone else at the college tell him to make that call? I asked.

“I can’t comment on that,” Carpenter said.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but Dayton, Tenn., was the site of the Scopes "Monkey" Trial. Glad to know some things never change ...

EDIT: Never mind. Didn't see pompano's post.

Draft saved Draft deleted