1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student-athlete and student-athletes for stylebook purposes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Student-athlete as in The student-athlete has played for three seasons.

Student-athletes as in The conference's top honor goes to three student-athletes.

Is the hyphen needed in both examples?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, if it's a conference honor, I think the athlete is assumed. And if he/she has played for three seasons, it's assumed.

I just don't like the term student-athlete. Call them players, or by their positions, or hell, by their last name.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

What she said. Well put.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The term "student-athlete" is superfluous, unless the story specifically deals with the status of individuals as both students AND athletes.

If it's a story about Bigstate U. beating the University of Lahdeedah for the conference title, I don't give a shit that Bigstate's point guard has a 3.2 GPA in "general studies." I just care if he scored 22 points and hit a jumper at the buzzer.

Draft saved Draft deleted