1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stu Scott has cancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Best wishes to him. Hope he whups it.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have been critical of his style as well, but he seems like a genuinely good guy. I hope this recurrence isn't as bad a sign as it seems and that he can beat its ass again.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Speaking of being critical of his style ...

Put aside whatever you might think of ESPN's Stuart Scott as a sports TV announcer and listen to this person.

"I'm not going to lie, it's scary. It's a very scary thing," Scott told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday about a recurrence of cancer. "The immediate thought is I'm going to die."

What's with that lede? Opinionated and negative, especially in a sensitive story that is aiming for inspiration.

Good story otherwise, with excellent quotes. But if Stuart Scott saw it, and I'm guessing he did, that intro was hurtful. And unnecessary, under the circumstances. Definitely a lede that should have been rewritten.

I guess this was a column, but still not the time nor place for veiled ridicule.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/01/15/stuart-scott-cancer-espn/1837559/

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't disagree at all... but look through this thread. For some reason, everyone feels obligated to preface their comments with "I don't like his schtick, but..." Yeah, shitty to put it in print, but that's because it's kind of a shitty sentiment anywhere.

I feel terrible for him. This is a guy with kids who knows he is very much looking at the possibility of never seeing them grow up. Seems like a reasonable time to wish him well without critiquing his work.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That is the hard truth about Stu Scott: When he doesn't have cancer, he's loathed as a sports anchor.

Tell you what I like about Stu as an on-premises sports guy: He's very good delivering pertinent stats in real time.

From one C conquerer to another, Stu: Keep Conquering.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think the point is that "loathing" a sports anchor seems trivial when we're talking about life and death.

It's not like he's a politician.

7. Songbird

I got the point. It's a hard lede but it's not a bad lede.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except that he's not loathed as a sports anchor. You don't reach his level - and stay there - if you are loathed.

He's loathed by print journalists. Seems kind of silly at the moment.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Excellent point. Strange for me, too, because I'm a print journalist and I don't loathe the guy at all. He is TV. What he slings obviously sells like waffles at Waffle House. I like him. No problem with him at all. Never have. Had I gone into TV, which I nearly did, I wish I'd had 1/10th the talent he has. I'd have done quite well.

You guys might as well say what you're thinking, which is "Stu sucks but I don't want anyone to die."

Here's a thought: instead of saying how bad he sucks, ask yourself if you could be as good and successful as he has been. There's your answer.

Good luck Stu. Fight the fight.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Do tell. What'd you beat Songbird?

11. Songbird

Testicular. They sawed off my left nut in 2000.

I was back at work a week after surgery then worked thru 35 radiation zaps. One story sticks out more than most: After the first zap I went to Bellows Falls High to interview the girls soccer coach for the team preview. It's maybe 11 a.m., 2 or 3 hours after the zap. Starting to feel a little queasy. The coach and team are on the main field. I'm standing well off to the side and puke. I hear the captain ask "Coach, why is Songbird throwing up?"

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Greatest. Lede. Ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted