1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Struggling with job search and next steps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1GreytWriter, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

The complete picture is summed up here. You are either too young or too old, have too much experience or too little, while companies desire expertise at no price at all. You will be driven mad by this conundrum as you go on interviews at your expense to talk to people who want to incur no expenses. Good luck, Godspeed and take the restaurant job. People won't stop eating any time soon.

EStreetJoe likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In a very small way this reminds me of the first 4 minutes of this:

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think my head just 'sploded...

4. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

Saw the last couple replies after I forgot I had made this thread, so bumping for a quick update.

I started training last week for my new job, but don't think I am going to stay. I was not told this when I was hired, and I didn't find it in my own research, but the company I'm working for requires you to complete your training at three different stores. (I'm in retail so this is all part of a big chain.) I got hired in one store (A), have to go for classroom training in a different one (B) and then do on the job training in a third (C). A couple of the things, like doing the computer training and the cash register, can be done at my own store. But the other things I have to travel for; on the job training is a half hour from where I live. When I heard "on the job training," I imagined it would be at the place that hired me. I'm also required to complete computer lessons on my own time outside of work. I actually have days where I can't work at A because I have to be in class, so for a few weeks I work at my home store, then get pulled for an additional 2-3 days at another site.

Since my pay is not that great (as I said in my first post, it's less than $9 an hour), I've decided it's not worth the aggravation. I will stick with until I line up something else, and then I will be leaving. I actually read a lot of horror stories about this company online, but decided to ignore them because I didn't know if they were real or not and I thought maybe things would be better for me. Perhaps that was a bad move on my end, but part of me thought...you never know who's just bitter...

Then again, ever since my last media job axed me, I've noticed negative reviews of them from other employees, and since I'm not writing all of them myself, I knew reading these other reviews that it was no surprise the people writing them had similar issues because they were what I experienced.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A temporary half-hour commute is not a crisis. Not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted