1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Struggled mightily"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I read it again in the ESPN piece today on Phil Jackson's being stunned over not getting the Lakers job----the awkward phrase "struggled mightily".

That has been popping up fairly frequently in stories over the last 2-3 years. It's too quirky for my taste and come across as a lame attempt to make a sports piece into a work of literature.

Where did this nonsense come from, and why do so many writers use it? It also looks like there's a group of writers out there trying to create a new cliche because they've overused all the old ones.

Can we please quit using this?

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm struggling mightily with the thought that this is a problem.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Adverbs! Use sparingly!

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And I'm struggling mightily that you're struggling mightily with the thought that this is a problem.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It's redundant and silly.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I struggled only a tiny bit. Tried to accomplish a fairly basic task and did it easily, but still, it was harder than just sitting here, doing nothing.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've been grappling with this problem myself. It would take a Hurculean effort to stop using the phrase, though.

8. slc10

slc10 Member

After that effort you would have momentum to battle through the day.

9. CharBroiled

CharBroiled New Member

Only working hard to get to a high level can you overcome struggling mightily.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I worked for years with an accomplished veteran college writer who inserted "struggled mightily" into almost every game story he wrote, regardless of the sport.

He also used "Unfortunately" in every game story, as in "Unfortunately, Boner State could not convert in the red zone ..." Unfortunate for Boner State, yes; not so much for its opponent.

Used to drive me to the brink of insanity.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Someone must have wanted to differentiate between that and struggling lazily ...

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Makes me think of this, for some reason.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/loved-ones-recall-local-mans-cowardly-battle-with,772/

Draft saved Draft deleted