1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stringing for semi-competing newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, May 14, 2008.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I've accepted an assignment to cover a few baseball games for a sister paper and a paper about 50 miles away from the sister paper.

Signing the standard freelance agreement, I was wondering how best to handle this. Should I give the same story, two semi-different stories — with different ledes — or two totally different stories with none of the same quotes.

I'm leaning toward the two different ledes.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Do you want to keep both gigs?

The more you differentiate the stories, the more likely you are to keep them both in the future.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Two semi-different stories -- byline one, no byline on the other.
    You're the one who got into this -- ask yourself what happens if neither one is happy with what you did for the other and felt they should be exclusive.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

It's kind of a freak gig. But sending the same story seems ethically wrong — though, if someone from another paper asked to use my story, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Only because it is wrong.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

One saving grace may be they are slightly different assignments. One is two straight gamers — the other is two online updates and a long wrap of the series.

But I get what you're saying slappy — though I don't think they won't mind for a fringe playoff game — it's probably best to avoid situations like this in the future.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Very difficult to do well, and, in my opinion, you're shortchanging the first paper.

Avoid at all costs.

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Better to sacrifice the extra $$ and recruit a competent stand in for the second gig...

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I have a guy who writes for me part-time who is an editor of a twice-a-week paper in a town 15 miles away. If he covers the same event for me, he writes a similiar, but different story for his edition.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Two totally different stories. No other choice.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

One piece of advice: DON'T string for two competing papers. If you're found out and you're not up front about what you're doing, you'll end up with no gig.

12. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I accidently let it slip, second gig didn't balk — I think they just want something in. I'll avoid the situation in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted