1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stringers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mike311gd, May 16, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's the best route to becoming a stringer in a new area. The writing experience is there, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm just looking for the best way to get a bite. Should I begin making cold calls to papers in my new area?

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, that kind of stringer. I thought this was another politically correct thread telling the world how C. Vivian is a modern day Rosa Parks and how her press conference wasn't really aimed at recruiting or self-promotion.......

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Make calls to the papers in the area. And keep at it. They may not need someone today or tomorrow but may be desperate in a month or so.

Once you get in the loop and they know you are reliable, things may get steadier.

I know I often get calls in the middle of the summer when I don't need freelancers but those same folks never seem to call back in the heat of football or basketball season.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, you've made your unsolicited political statement of the day ... maybe think of deleting it now?

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

What Ace said. I had one stringer quit after the first game one year. Another year a guy quit after the second game and never came to get his check. Keep at it, you never know when there are changes and stringers could be needed.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Since you have experience it would be beneficial to send some clips and an actual resume with references and then schedule an appointment just to visit so they can get a feel for you.
    Don't limit yourself to newspapers, either. Visit local magazines and weekly alternative papers. Be willing to do something outside sports. A good feature is a good feature.
    How about program features for local colleges?
    If there's a local organization of free-lancers, pay the money and join up. My entry fee has been repaid many times over for the connections I made there.
    You never know what might come up if you tap into all these sources.
    It's worked for me.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've had experience getting stringing work at a number of papers.

Best bet is to be a quasi pain in the ass. Call right after you get in town, send clips packages right after you call so that you'll be fresh in their minds, and call every few weeks to see if there's something available.

Also, don't limit yourself to just sports. Do some news stuff, too. That'll add some change to the bottom line, maybe give you enough coin to buy a couple cases of beer.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good points. Also, if you have done a bit of work for one paper, might see if the editor there will put in a good word for you with someone in the new burg.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Cold calls, and keep emailing and calling to keep your name fresh in ther heads.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Would it be crazy to go cover a game you know the paper would staff (just so there can be some comparison) and send it to the SE? Include a note that says, "Hey, here's what I can do. Gimme a call."

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not crazy, but perhaps questionable form.

An SE could look upon that as you trying to big-time his own staffer, since somebody from that paper is going to be doing a gamer from there as well. And you're going to be showing them your stuff like, "See? I'm better than him..."

Trust me. You need to show some good taste in these job hunts. You can be a kick-ass writer, and if you offend the SE with the way you handle something, he isn't hiring you to walk his dog.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

It's all about customer service...identifying/anticupating needs and solving problems...theirs first, yours second...

Draft saved Draft deleted