1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

stringer rates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Love_Sports, Dec 29, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I got $45 per story from the suburban daily I strung for over the summer.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Local metros (100k x2, 200ish?k): 65-80, depending on who the stringer is.

Local AP: $100 for minor league baseball

the WWL: Good money if you know people

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You should be reporting all your income, even all those small pieces that fall below the 1099 threshhold. That's what Quicken is for---to keep track of all that stuff for you.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

OK, so how about payment for a nice profile story that takes time for the interviews, development and writing?

You're going to take $50 or $75 for a story that might have taken you a full day or two of calls, visits? Or would you expect $150 or so for a 20- or 25-inch feature?

You time investment and your experience should be compensated in some cases. It's not just about typing words on a keyboard or a few graphs from the Podunk-Slapout hoops game.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For a major metro, I cleared $175 for a 30 inch feature.

For another metro, I just banked $250 for gamer, notes, info box and an off day story.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. I generally charge more for a feature than a routine gamer.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I made $125 for a lenghty, well-researched article for a small niche publication. For a local magazine, I make $300 for stories that don't take near as long and aren't near as much work. The first story was a better piece of journalism, but the second type sure do pay the bills.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Just fyi... do you realize that if you're making $50 or less for a game-day story, you could probably make just as much money - if not more - babysitting for a night?

A competent journalist should make more per gig than a 7th grader, no?

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

you make a good point, but I'd ratther get paid to watch a ballgame than some snot-nosed little brat screaming all night!

Draft saved Draft deleted