1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

stringer rates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Love_Sports, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

My first year in the business I covered the state swimming championships for my paper, and a major metro from the other side of the state gave me $75 to get a couple quotes from three winning swimmers. All I had to do was e-mail the quotes, and they wrote the story off the quotes I provided. Easiest gig I ever had.

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I'm averaging $75 a night.

Very bad trend -- basketball coverage is being cut. December - January used to be the heydey, now its September-November with football. And damn the AFL ownership -- the AFL was a nice income stream during the summer.

BTW, I too did high school football for $55 for 2-4 paragraphs, agate, and scoring updates. When kickoffs are 7:30, the teams are throwing 30 times a game and deadline is 10:45, we were getting paid for promptness.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just got $125 for an 18 inch NFL sider for a major metro.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Promptness or not, it is a giant waste of money. Running two to three graphs on a game isn't going to sell papers anyway, so why spend that much money?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did you actually sit there and watch the game?

Seriously, I'll get $50 per piece from a small daily and $75-100 from a larger one up the road, depending on whether its a gamer or feature. Truth be told, and i've told them this 100 times, stringers for regular season games are just a waste of money. If you're going to pay somebody, might as well get a halfway interesting feature that people might read.

Gamers you get from an SID or coaches' phone call.

6. daytonadan1983

The paper I worked for had my ``story'''' on the web within an hour....

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

You are a businessman...with a service to offer...you have to gauge what the traffic will bear, and if you find that you can't stay afloat by accepting lesser amounts, you have to make the hard decision and get out...if you can generate enough work and $$$ to make it work, then stick around and build your client base...but face facts because (to use a tired phrase) the facts are the bottom line and the bottom line is the bottom line...now...I will say this...the days of making a freelance living (even a modest one) by stitching together gigs from daily newspapers are over....I repeat, O-V-E-R ...you have to generate web and magazine business, and if your writing chops aren't up to those standards, then there are literally hundreds of freshly out of work professionals whose chops are...on the other hand, no matter how well you write, youe customer service skills (and priorities) have to be much better...After all, you're not in the journalism biz. That's been MY bottom line...

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Of course. ;)

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Small dailies can go as low as $30 here in upstate New York.

To me, that's a Saturday watching a ballgame, then the money for food and a couple of beers. Not a real income.

11. daytonadan1983

It was $75 for a break-out game -- 8-10 graphs

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I used to get $25 a story at my rinky-dink first paper. I freelanced for a mid-size, which offered me $50 and a major metro, which offered $100 per. Of course, neither of those last two places ever paid up (I wrote 1 story for the mid-size, and 3 for the major).

Draft saved Draft deleted