1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stringer needed for Division III softball championships in Salem, Va.

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Carl Dubois, May 17, 2011.

1. Carl Dubois

Carl Dubois New Member

The Yamhill Valley News-Register (McMinnville, Ore.) needs a good writer (camera is a plus) to cover No. 1-ranked Linfield College in the NCAA Division III softball championship tournament in Salem, Va. We publish twice a week, a PM on Wednesdays and an AM on Saturdays. Here is what we need:

1. A gamer from the opening game Friday (11 a.m. EDT), filed by 6 p.m. the same day.

2. A longer, feature-type gamer, wrapping up the season (national championship, or season-ending defeat) and putting the final game(s) in perspective. If Linfield goes undefeated and the tournament stays on schedule, we need this by 3 p.m. EDT Tuesday. If a second championship-round game is necessary (to be played Tuesday), we need it by 9 p.m. EDT Tuesday. If you can promise us a couple of photos (jubilation or the agony of defeat, plus a key player), you move to the front of the line, and the deal gets better for you.

3. Occasional text updates to me during the tournament to keep me current and aware of any major developments.

We'll provide contact info for SID, coach and key players. If you need help with credentials, let us know.

Catcher Emilee Lepp set the Division III record for home runs in a season. The Wildcats outscored their opponents in the regional 49-0. Linfield was national runner-up last season and is a good bet to win it all this time.

If you're interested, send an e-mail with a little bit about yourself, a writing sample or two, a photo sample if applicable, and some details about whether or not you're already credentialed, how far you are from Salem, etc., and any logistical problems you might encounter. Today (Tuesday) is a production day, and I won't be able to get back to you until Wednesday, but I wanted to see who's available.

E-mail me at cdubois@newsregister.com or send me a PM if interested. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can. Thanks.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Trust me, Carl will get back to you quickly, as he indicates in his missive.

Dude's a pro. He's got style. More important, substance.

Best of all, he's a great guy.

As you can see, Carl has specific ideas in mind, because the man does his homework. He knows what will have the most appeal to his readers.

If you're near Salem, Va., send the man a PM or otherwise inquire about the gig. You'll be glad you did.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

From the latest trailers of "The Hangover: Part 2," I'm pretty sure that's one of Chang's lines:

"HOLLA!!!"

If I was in the same zip code, area code, Commonwealth, you name it, I'd be on the horn like nobody's business.

Maybe next time, Carl.

The kid's always available for comment. Especially for the likes of Mr. Dubois.

I'll check with my peeps, homeslice.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Jesus, now your boy CD has me up early and part of the search committee ...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Blind leading the blind?

6. uconn98

uconn98 New Member

Double-dipping indeed came through. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted