1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stringer Bell vs. Agent Michael Scarn: Threat Level Midnight!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Idris Elba joining The Office for six episodes!

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2009/01/15/Idris_Elba_to_guest_star_on_The_Office/UPI-48351232043448/

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

DD, Not really related, but sort of related. I have been rewatching The Wire in fits and starts. I started at Season 1, Episode one and just finished Season 3, which you know was Stringer Bell heavy and is probably my favorite season. There is a scene in season three that I had forgotten about that made me burst out laughing. In one of the final episodes, when Brother Mouzone comes back and he is trying to hook up with Omar, he sends his homophobic bodyguard into that gay bar every night asking for Omar and stirring up shit, until he finds Omar. In this one scene, a gay guy comes up behind the bodyguard (his name is Lamar) and touches him from behind and says, "Can I buy you a drink?" Lamar pushes him away and shouts something and for a split second, the camera scans down to the end of the bar... and Rawls is sitting there. I rewound it about 10 times and laughed out loud each time. I am so glad I am rewatching. There is so much I forgot.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm watching The Wire now, and I'm six episodes into the fifth season. That scene you're talking about is one of my favorites, Ragu.

4. Double Down

I think what I liked most about that scene is that it was never addressed again. It was just a quick glimpse into Rawls bizarro world, and gives you a little insight, perhaps, into why he's so obsessed with using the word cocksucker and making derogatory comments about getting fucked in the ass, etc.

It's quite obvious that the writers of The Office love The Wire, since Dwight accused Kelly of "juking the stats" when she gave Jim and Dwight poor customer service reviews and Michael said that Ryan should deal with his "friend's" drug problem by wearing a wire and finding out who his supplier was.

I love the idea that in an alternate universe, Stringer Bell could have been middle management at Dunder Mifflin.

"I'll worry about that when it happens. Until then we are going to handle this like businessmen , make the profit and later for that gangster bullshit."

"Does the chair know we are going to look like some punk ass bitches out there?"

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Motherfucker I will punk yo' ass!

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Prop Joe would blow Dwight out of the water in sales.

"Buy for one, sell for tew."

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Michael said he watches The Wire, so this could be interesting. He obviously didn't recognize Beadie. :)

I can't wait for this. I wonder if Idris will use his natural accent.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How has Idris not been getting some great roles? He is so talented.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

He's been in some recent movies (RockNRoll?) and is going to be in one with Beyonce soon, but great question. The same could be set for most of The Wire's cast.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Yeah, I did see that Michael K. Williams (Omar) has a few things coming out in the next year or so, but Idris, man, he blew me away with almost every scene he was in.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

All I got to say to this:

Shee-eeeeee-it! Where does this leave me?

[​IMG]

12. Double Down

I think my favorite Prop Joe quote of all time is:

"Be a shame to let a good toaster go to waste over a frayed cord."

Draft saved Draft deleted