1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

cranberry and lcjjdnh like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

A spot I always thought they could speed the game up is in the eight extra warm-up pitches on the mound a relief pitcher gets. The guy just came from a bullpen where he was, ideally, throwing all the warm-up pitches he needs. With as many pitching changes are occuring now, this time adds up.

Can a more informed person explain to me why these pitches are necessary? Couldn't relief pitchers just come right out and start pitching?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like maybe they are warming up the catcher to catch the new pitcher as much as they are warming up the pitcher.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That makes sense, and I guess there is no way around it if that is part of the reason. It just always feels like an eternity to run out from the outfield, throw your eight pitches, do all the normal stuff pitchers do to themselves behind the mound and then finally restart the game.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also, bullpen mound differs from the pitcher's mound on the field.

Remember ... we're talking about pitchers here!

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They could certainly cut it to four.

Also, as a disincentive for mid-inning pitching changes, any pitcher brought in during an inning in progress starts with a 3-0 count on the batter.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

And the offending pitching coach has to land a 9-iron in the special square hidden somewhere in foul territory or the fans in section 331 won't get free hot dogs.

I mean, as long as we are making up random rules ...

10. Starman

It's not a random rule.

It's making mid-inning pitching changes much more risky and thus incentivizing managers not to use them.

Starting with a 3-0 count, pitchers would come right in with fastballs down the chute. Boom.

It would result in tired/ shaky pitchers being ridden for an additional batter or two, which will increase offense.

It would be the end of one-batter situational platoon pitching changes.

Teams would probably trim pitching staffs by one or maybe two pitchers, (since you would almost never use pitchers for 1-2 batters) and instead carry an additional field player.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Self-defeating. Research has shown it's batters and pitchers taking time between pitches that does the most to make games longer. A tired, shaky pitcher is going to take much more time between pitches than a new reliever.

12. Starman

I'd enforce an ironclad 20-second pitch count too.

Draft saved Draft deleted