1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You learn about game situations and getting outs. And you do learn about hitting something other than batting practice -- I don't know if it's hugely valuable long-term for reasons I noted earlier, but it does have value.

Also, why is it OK to compete in other sports but not baseball?

Contrary to what you're saying, one main complaint of HS coaches seems to be that kids have spent too much time working on individual skills and don't know how to actually play the game.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think situational stuff is mostly instinctive and can also be taught by you and simply watching the game.

Because baseball sucks under the age of ten.

This is all based on the parent being able to competently teach their kid the game. So for a lot of parents this isn't an option.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, agree to disagree. It's no more scattershot than soccer or basketball in my opinion. The hybrid kid/coach pitch works -- if the pitcher throws four balls, instead of walking, the hitter's coach comes in to groove one.

You get a higher proportion of dickhead coaches, but that's just a condition of baseball all the way through. Aside from that issue, though, my experience has been that kids do like playing real games at that age.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had never heard it called Pickle before. Interesting. We just called it "Running Bases."

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I am assuming that kids are playing multiple sports, if this is the case and one sport must be chosen to be put on the back burner it is baseball to me. Or if you are playing multiple sports choose the other one.I don't agree that baseball is the same as soccer. As team sports go baseball is about as individual as you can get.

I guess if you are playing on travel teams at 8 years old it may be different but if you are playing regular baseball with kids who are picking dandelions I really don't think you are getting much out of it at all.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's probably a separate thread if its own and it's also a tangent off the various kids sports threads, but in my childhood/ early teen days in the late 60s/ early 70s, I rarely played organized sports on actual teams with uniforms, etc etc, but I played vacant-lot baseball, backyard touch football, and driveway basketball probably 250 days a year in our subdivision.

Within a span of a half mile there were probably 20 boys within about a 4-year age span. There were probably a dozen houses with hoops, three or four big vacant lots and four or five backyards with 40-50 yard open spaces for touch football games.

We actually got quite organized leagues going. I know on some summer days we had 8-team 3-on-3 hoops tournaments with games going on at 4 houses at a time.

(Each home court had its own idiosyncrasies -- some rims were higher or lower, some backboards were rock solid and some were mushy, some courts were long and deep while some were wide and horizontal. A few had lights and parents who would let you play late into the night.)

We'd play something almost every day unless it was absolutely pouring -- and even then we might play mud-bowl tackle football.

In the dead-ass winter with snow on the ground, sometimes we'd play football and throw each other into the snowdrifts.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, since this has been effectively jacked. ...

Nobody had backyards big enough for that, but we had a variety of public fields, schools, parks. We'd organize football games. During one period, we used to do our grade versus the grade above / below us. We also did a lot of just getting 10 to 20 guys together, dividing into teams, etc. I laugh at it now, because we played without pads and we'd beat the hell out of each other. ... and pop right up for the next play. Someone always ended up hurt, though. Everything from nasty bruises to broken bones.

Basketball, there was one court maintained by the county that we took over. We played more basketball than anything. We'd be there from morning till evening all summer long. Either 3-on-3 games going on both ends, or full court. If you lost, you waited to get back on.

Baseball, a bit less, but we had some great games that we organized ourselves. Sometimes it took doing, but we'd call around to get 18 warm bodies and have a game. We played stickball way more often. There was one closed school where there was a wall with a strike zone painted on it, and we had a variety of broomsticks / stickball bats. We'd use old tennis balls. The field actually had a fence, so if you put it over it was a HR. We'd usually play 2 on 2, with a pitcher and a fielder. Anything on the ground past the pitcher, but fielded cleanly by the fielder, he could throw at the strike zone box, and if he hit it, it was an out. Anything not fielded cleanly was a single. Anything caught on the fly was an out. Anything on the fly past the pitcher, but in front of the fielder was a single. Anything past the pitcher and the fielder was a double. Anything that rolled to, or hit the fence, was a triple. Over the fence was a HR.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Our neighborhood was a pretty snooty suburb, the lots were usually 110 x 220 with the houses set back about halfway.

So if you had two yards adjoining side to side, without a fence in between, you'd have a rectangle about 70 by 30 yards open for football. That's a pretty good touch football field.

We even set up a "Polo Grounds" style baseball/softball field with 40 foot bases, 125 foot foul lines and 180 feet straightaway center.

We played with mushy dead softballs from our dads' city rec slowpitch games (a very big deal in those days).

The mushy dead softballs didn't carry that well so you could really tag 'em and not send them very far. A few times we played with fairly fresh baseballs and almost hammered holes in some aluminum siding.

NOW ... back to what MLB should do to cut down strikeouts without killing scoring ....

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The players who strike out 3 or more times in a game are forced to sit out the first seven innings of the next game.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

RAW thinking

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

In NJ and NY think it was Running Bases. Also we played one guy gets the football and just tries to run anyway as long as he can. When he gets tackled, he gives up the ball and someone else picks it up. We called that Kill The Man With The Ball. In college, some buddies from Mass said they called it Smear The Queer, quite homophobic.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

In my MA town the baserunning game wash Pickle. The football thing was smear the queer or kill the carrier, more of the latter. I think pig pile was used sometimes. Around third grade we were banned from playing it at recess.

Draft saved Draft deleted