1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strike a pose: Charles Woodson named AP NFL Defensive POY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 12, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

both woodson and revis are great players who had great seasons. woodson had the more tangible numbers, which don't really always tell you about the job a corner is doing.

makes for nice debate, which is all these awards are worth. ::) ::) ::)

other than that, why should we care? ??? ??? ???

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

First off, it's not cover corner of the year, it's defensive player of the year. You want to dismiss big plays as if they are insignificant, or at least less significant than incompletions.

Besides, if teams only threw at Woodson less than five times a game, that's as shut down as it gets in this league. It's just as significant if the Packers are playing in a zone, because that means quarterbacks avoided the area of the field where he played (or just as likely he had his responsibilities covered). It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Even you have to admit extra possessions are worth giving up a few yards for.

You dismiss the stats I use, but lean on others to make your argument. Then you call me wrong?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's just silly to say Revis benefited from the New York hype. The Jets' TV ratings consistently rank in the bottom four among all NFL teams in their local market; throw in the whole state of Wisconsin and not just the Green Bay and Milwaukee markets, and I'd wager there are more people watching the average Packers game than the average Jets game. As for the media coverage part, the Packers were on prime time three times this season to the Jets' twice; they also played the Thanksgiving game and several national games on Fox (against Pittsburgh, Dallas and Minnesota) that were in the late-afternoon spot that is actually the NFL's highest-rated time slot.

You can't possibly think people got more exposure to Revis than they did to Woodson.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

That's all that really needed to be said. Revis is better than Woodson in one area of the game. It's an important area, but it doesn't take away from Woodson in every other area. Woodson is a more complete defender.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Again I ask the Revis fans. Does he play the run well? Does he do anything in the blitz game? This is not knock on him as he is a great player. I just want to know if there is more to his game then coverage. Woodson in the run game was unreal.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

NFL Network talked up Revis all year, bigtime, along with Revis' own self-serving coach.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

revis is very strong vs. the run. in the jets' scheme, he's in man coverage on the opposing team's top wideout -- the list this season was very strong -- and he won every duel, i believe.

woodson is asked to play an entirely different style in an entirely diiferent scheme. great point made earlier was that this is the "defensive player of the year," not "cornerback of the year" or "best cover-corner of the year."

when you at it like that, the case for woodson becomes stronger.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Both great players. Woodson is not overrated. He's very, very good. I think the right guy won the award, but I think Woodson benefits more by playing in a system that allows him to do more, appear to be a more well-rounded player and make more impact plays. Flash over substance in nonsense. Woodson may create so-called flashy plays but he was outstanding this year in run support, he is probably the best tackler on GB's defense, and he isn't afraid to get in a WR's face be physical. Just because you're angry one guy didn't win, doesn't mean you need to take shots at the guy who did. Making a case for Revis is a better argument than calling Woodson overrated, when he was clearly one of the top players in the league this year.

The real story here for me though, is Rex Ryan pouting like a fat bitch. The gratuitous shot at Green Bay's defense is one of the most unprofessional things I've ever read from an NFL coach. Pathetic. His team wouldn't even be in the playoffs if Indy didn't lay down for him, so to call out GB's bad performance on Sunday is really stupid.

Just because of his totally classless comments, I hope the Chargers humiliate them. Rivers beating Revis on a couple TDs would be icing on the cake. He is now my least favorite coach in the NFL.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

rex won't be happy until he's turned the jets into the team everyone loves to hate, other than j-e-t-s fanbois. they may already be there.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Amen.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't dismiss your stats. I said you were relying far to heavily on them.

The one I do dismiss is the number of times they were thrown at. For one thing, it actually speaks better for Revis that he gave up fewer yards and fewer touchdowns even though teams threw at him more. It means that when he was challenged, he did a better job.

Also, Woodson was not in man-to-man coverage nearly as much as Revis. The Jets had him in man almost all the time. Woodson was playing like a safety as much as he played like a corner and he was in zone a very large percentage of the time.

Also, the Packers lost their other corner during the season, so obviously teams were going to attack the replacement.

Other than that, your stat holds up just fine. :)

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I read Ryan's comments again and can't help but wonder what Mike McCarthy would have said if Revis won. I'm guessing nothing at all, or something like "Revis is an outstanding player. Charles had a great season. I don't get caught up in awards. I think Revis is deserving of the award."

I can guarantee you though he wouldn't have said what Ryan did. Although that's probably true for about 30 other coaches. I've got to believe other coaches see this stuff. He can't possibly have a very good reputation among his peers.

Draft saved Draft deleted