1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strike a pose: Charles Woodson named AP NFL Defensive POY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 12, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/wire/sns-ap-fbn-defensive-player,0,2164356.story

Tough to argue with all the big plays he made, but I still would have gone with Revis.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is a typical example of flash over substance.

I don't hate the choice, but I agree with OOP (and now I must take a shower....) Revis was ridiculous this year every single game against the best receivers. Did anyone else notice that list of receivers he held to less than 35 yards receiving this year?

3. outofplace

Upset of the day: Zag didn't accuse me of liking Revis only because he is from Pittsburgh. :)

Some people just don't understand the impact a shut-down corner like Revis has on the game, how much it frees up the rest of the defense to do other things.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It was tempting, believe me, extremely tempting..... ;D

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely should have been Revis.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Once good but overrated, always good but overrated.

[/peyton_fanboi]

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Woodson had a great season, and you can't take away from that. But Revis was unstoppable.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You can't expect guys who didn't watch Revis at all this year to notice what he does at the DB position. When you have Troy Aikman gushing over Woodson when asked who should win the DPOY award and then admit that he didn't see Revis play this season, he seems to typify most of these stat loving voters who really don't know the game.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Must be that Green Bay media bias.

10. outofplace

I'm not sure saying that Aikman doesn't know the game is quite the right way to phrase it, but I see your point. I'm sure that is a problem for a lot of voters, that they just haven't seen enough teams, or maybe only saw them once. That is tough to judge by. Maybe I am biased the other way because the two times I watched the Packers for a full game, their defense was getting torched.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You joke, but I could have told you in about Week 12 that Woodson would win this. All of the sudden all the NFL media just kind of decided to start putting it in their stories about him -- not sure why the context had to be "who's going to be the defensive POY," but it was there -- and since a lot of those guys are the voters, it was basically preordained. And then when Fox needed pregame programming for its crap Thanksgiving game and they went with Woodson's charity work, it became the most solid lock on the board. From that point on, Revis (or DeMarcus Ware for that matter) never had a chance.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Revis is the best corner in the game.

Woodson had the best year. It wasn't close. This vote should have been unanimous.

Draft saved Draft deleted