1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strib to cut 145 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, May 7, 2007.

1. goose

goose Member

They do suburban (North, South and West) sections, but it's more of a paper within a paper than a zoned edition. This move would be more suburban coverage on a day-to-day basis.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As it should be... hells bells, the West and South zones are just the demographics they want to hit

3. Agreed on Duluth. And on having a Bloomington bureau. (Isn't Bloomington actually bigger than Duluth these days? I think that means Bloomington is the third-largest city in Minnesota.)

Considering the demographics of Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, Burnsville, Chanhassen, etc., it's hard to believe the Strib doesn't hit the hell out of that area.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

*I'll be honest, I very rarely read the Strib. Because when I do, I wind up reading the sports section, which means reading Sid, then I get a headache.*

They've always 'wanted' to be the state's newspaper, but they aren't. This thread was the first time I ever heard of the Strib having someone in Duluth. Duluth has a newspaper and Duluth people as a rule read the News-Tribune before the Strib. A few years ago, the Strib tried having people refer to it as just the Star-Tribune (dropping the Minneapolis) and made a huge push into covering St. Paul -- which, when you consider that Bloomington, Richfield, Edina were wide open for coverage -- was a dumb idea. Go for the area needing coverage rather than trying to convert those who are already served by the Pioneer Press.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They've had someone in Duluth and someone in the south (Rochester maybe) as long as I can remember. Well, at least since I worked in New Ulm in the 1980s

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It is a fact that the majority of outstaters are convinced that the 612ers don't care about anything outside the Metro.

So wouldn't you publicize that your paper has a Duluth reporter? I lived in Duluth in the 80s and if the Strib had one at that time (which I don't doubt, Slap), it was a well-kept secret.

7. That Meyer guy at UNC can bite me, too.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think it's more of a regional reporter based in Duluth, than a Duluth reporter.

9. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

How is it affecting sports?
    Are they cutting the giant salary of that guy who sucks up to famous athletes while trying to trash the esteem of young reporters?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, who would that be Billy??

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Psssst. Moddy.

I think his first name is Sid.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(oh, yeah! him)

Draft saved Draft deleted