1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strib sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenthumb, Dec 26, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Columnist Nick Coleman doesn't exactly endear himself to the new bosses -- or the old ones...

http://www.startribune.com/357/story/903516.html

2. Yeah, I got into this business to be part of an equity capital firm.
    Jesus wept.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Are you back with us in the fourth dimension? That's one I can get behind.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hell of a column by Coleman, who's worked at both the Strib and the PiPress.

5. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Columnist Doug Grow <a href=http://www.startribune.com/465/story/905773.html>weighed in Saturday </a>on the effects of McClatchy's decision not to include the Star Tribune Foundation in the sale. A lot of big nonprofits still are getting cash, but smaller groups are left with holes in their budgets all of the sudden.

This might be interesting as McClatchy pays the columnists, who then take it to task.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty sure that column ruffled some feathers in McClatchy and Avista, and I'm even more sure that people in the Twin Cities probably won't notice.
    Hopefully, that 19 percent profit margin is more than enough for Avista.

7. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Ruffled enough feathers that this cx was run:

Nick Coleman’s column on Page B1 Friday incorrectly stated the McClatchy Company’s operating margins. McClatchy had an operating margin of 18.6 percent in 1998, the year it bought the Star Tribune. Its operating margin last year was 19 percent. In 1998, McClatchy’s free cash flow was 28.3 percent, as measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. In 2005, its free cash flow was 25 percent.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's always entertaining when the print media fuck up the facts on themselves.

And it would be a real accomplishment if the print media could branch out into fucking up nonprofit foundation groups.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

honestly, Dye, it would be a real accomplishment if you ever SHUT THE FUCK UP.

And I say that as someone who generally enjoys you around here.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly, another drone has drunk the kool-aid [/fudgepack]
    WELL PLAYED [/restoftheboard]

Draft saved Draft deleted