1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strib doesn't pay a really, really big bill...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune skipped a $9 million quarterly debt payment.

Star Tribune Skips $9M Debt Payment

I don't care how they try to spin it, this doesn't sound good.

2. I'm sure the creditors will understand.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And it's already blown off the "junior lenders." Let's borrow money, we're not going to pay you back and renegotiate... what kind of fucktards run this business anyway

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What I don't get, is back an owner or two ago, McClatchy maybe? the Strib was supposed to be in such good shape, a very healthy paper. There were rumblings that the Strib would wind up putting the Pioneer Press out of business.

Just what the hell happened?! Or was that all a lie back then?

5. It was Knight-Ridder, wasn't it?

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Knight-Ridder owned the Pioneer Press.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Prediction: The Strib will become the first big-city paper to make a major change to avoid shutting down. Assuming they aren't able to sell the property the new owners were counting on to fund the buy.
    It might be a co-op with the PiPress. It might mean the end of 7-day a week publication. It might mean something else entirely.
    Hard to fathom that it could get to this point, but it is probably worse than anyone knows.

8. You're right. My bad.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bad as Dean Singleton (owner of St. Paul paper) is, he is Joseph Fucking Pultzer compared to the private equity firm that owns the Minneapolis paper. I would expect him to buy out the competition for 50 cents on the dollar, or less, of what they paid. Then Singleton will merge the two operations for one Twin Cities newspaper. He can then shed 25-50 percent of the journalists and others working there, citing redundancies.

You know why the Mpls paper's owners thumb their nose at their lenders? Because they can, without having the bankers take the newspaper away from them. You or I try that with our home mortgage, the bank will take our house and sell it for what it can reap. But who the hell is going to take a dying newspaper if the bankers foreclose on that? So the big business boys get to behave like snakes, doing things that would put you or me out on the street.

10. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

God Bless America.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think the Singleton-esque of consolidation will start happening more and more.

It's starting to happen with the big three in South Florida. Singleton's LANG empire was all about consolidation of eight to 10 papers during the past decade. And LANG has a share agreement with the Orange County Register.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've said this before and it bears repeating, before the end of this decade a major newspaper will fold its tent. I don't think its going to be the Star-Ledger or the Strib. Good candidates in no particular order are the New York Post, New York Daily News and the Philadelphia Daily News. The Akron Beacon Journal and Boston Herald aren't exactly out of the running for the first to close award.

Draft saved Draft deleted