1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stress suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Been on a diuretic for blood pressure for almost 30 years. It works. No notable side effects except I piss more and sweat more when it's hot weather. Those are not deal breakers. Also the peace of mind that comes from believing you have dealt with a potentially serious health issue is a real stress reducer. Kind of a virtuous circle deal.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I may have missed it in your original or subsequent posts, but what is your exercise routine like? There's really no substitute.

Does your job afford you the opportunity to plan work out several weeks in advance? When I took command down here in Honduras, it was like a knife fight in a phone booth. We couldn't accomplish any objectives because we were so reactionary. I absolutely forced us to plan training six weeks out and prevent higher units from taking up too much of our time with last-minute requests. That relieved my stress more than anything I can remember. I was, on a daily basis, stressing over how to "make ends meet" with our resources -- helicopters and people. Less than a week after getting those plans laid out, I literally feel the relief off my shoulders.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Will second VBs staring at the yoga instructors ass suggestion. But as tbf said, you really need to find time to exercise. Doesn't sound like his thoughts on dealing with work squares with what you're dealing with but you do need to make it a point to decompress as often as you can. Take a walk, deep breaths, go to the gym. Whatever you can carve out.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, this. I have been on a diuretic for years and have the side effects as Gee - endless pissing and sweating in the heat - but that's it. Great point about the peace of mind thing too: I was feeling right out of it in late-January, went to my doctor, got sent for tests which came back all clear, got my BP meds changed and have felt fine ever since. And if I do feel a little wonky I know how to manage it.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've been dealing with some acute stress lately, and while it's not always easy, I can second (third?) a lot of the recommendations in this thread:

1) Exercise and even manual labor can help train your mind on something else, and also give you a sense of physical well-being and accomplishment.

2) Therapy, which is something I've been reluctant to do because of various tough-upbringing fears that it's for soft wankers, has actually been super helpful for me. Just a place to vent and some validation that you're not (totally) insane or reacting weirdly is useful.

3) I understand your reluctance to resort to medication, but Lorazepam has been a fucking gift this last little while. I can literally feel my chest release when I take even half a tab, and it's definitely helped me sleep, which is critical to functioning mindfully.

4) Dope.

5) Focussing on the present, even 20 minute blocks of what you need to get done, can help ease some of that long-term anxiety, too. I dwell on the past even more than I think about the future (which is a lot), and the former is probably the least productive thing you can do. I think "living in the moment" is easier said than done, but keeping busy and breaking down tasks and days into small, manageable, and achievable chunks has helped me work through things.

6) Remind yourself of even the small gifts of your life and the world.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Regular sex couldn't hurt.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, it can. It can result in new sources of stress.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Kinky sex might.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for all of the good advice everyone. The last 5 or so days have been a bit better. I have been crazy busy, except over the weekend, but the busy wasn't making my head feel as if it was going to explode. We did almost nothing this weekend, first time in a while, and that helped a bit. We just hung out, food shopped, cooked a ton, went for a walk, etc. I was starting to feel a bit better in the days after my initial post and I am feeling fine at the moment. I am still holding more stress than usual, but it doesn't feel as extreme as when I posted. A good sign is that things were going wrong all around me earlier today and I handled it the way I do when I feel OK; no excess stress.

I haven't seen my doctor yet, but I did get my bp checked last week after the posts brow beating me, and it was fine. What I was feeling were more like panic attacks. And sleep has been an issue. That is nothing new, but when I posted, I had had a few particularly bad nights. I am trying to pick up the exercise a little. I do a bit of cardio something every morning, usually jogging or running or rowing if I hit the gym, even if it is only a half hour or 45 minutes, but I don't go at it with the intensity or time commitment I used to. I have picked it up a little the last few days; as several people pointed out that can make a big difference and maybe that is what I am missing. I am trying some of the other things people suggested, too. So thanks again. I'll let you know if anything feels like it has made a difference. I really need to make a doctor's appointment. Even just a check up won't hurt; but I need to find the time and find the will to go.

OscarMadison, dixiehack and Vombatus like this.
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We don't want him to wind up with arm injuries.

exmediahack and Riptide like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure why I am sharing this, but update: This morning at about 6 am, I was at my desk working and my chest started to feel tight and I suddenly felt weak and dizzy. No good reason -- nothing strenuous or stress-related to the work was the cause. In general, I have not been sleeping well and my anxiety levels have been extreme as ever.

I stood up and felt like I might pass out. I kept it together and tried to walk around, but my body was tensing up and I felt very lightheaded and had to sit down several times. My breathing was shallow, so I had to force myself to breathe and I couldn't tell if I was short of breath or hyperventilating. I'd feel slightly better for a minute then sit down and feel even weaker. The motion of sitting and then standing and walking kept making me afraid if I was going to pass out. I just felt off. Compound it with the fact that I had a bit of dried blood on the tissue when I blew my nose yesterday, and I started to get scared about a myocardial event of some sort -- and it fed on itself in my mind. I was anxious, weak, and feeling very lightheaded and running heart attack scenarios in my head. The chest tightness, in particular, scared me, even though it wasn't extreme. I couldn't tell if it was just chest tightness related to a heart thing, or the fact that my whole body had gotten tense and it was feeding on itself.

I got Ms. Ragu on the phone at around 7 (she was already at work) wondering whether I should call 911 and head to the emergency room, and decided to call my sister who is an MD and she put my brother-in-law on the phone, who is conveniently a cardiologist. He talked me through it and seemed fairly confident that I wasn't having a heart attack based on what I described. Best guess it was an extreme panic attack. I have had them, but never one that felt like that -- and it scared the living hell out of me, because I was feeling it via very weird physical symptoms. I took a mild sedative (I keep a bottle around just in case) and I am working again, and I feel a ton better right now -- close to normal.

Aside from that scary hour or two, I have been trying everything I can to shake the stress, with a particular focus the last week or two on mindfulness and meditation. I even went to a buddhist center last week and tried a group meditation & lecture -- it was torture, because it left me more wound up than before I had gone.

I am arranging with my brother-in-law to have a stress test at his office in the next week just to be certain. Even if there is something there, I'd rather know what is going on and deal with it than just be guessing. Hopefully it is stress-related and I can finally use how scared I felt as an impetus to get serious about fixing this.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice ... just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope you get some answers.

JC and Dyno like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted