1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stress suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't understand the hesitancy either. There's no mood-altering involved.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I never gave much thought to legalizing marijuana after the salad days of my reckless adolescence. Then I had kids. I often dream about it these days.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

And these same high-end athletes/teams also employ loads of sports psychologists to keep their minds in the right place, too. So definitely would say talking to a professional would help with stress relief.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because a lot of medications related to things like blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetic problems, etc. have been prescribed more and more over the last 25 years or so, as an easy way to treat people who are avoiding dealing with the behaviors that caused their problems -- overweight, smoking, lack of exercise, etc. Not in all cases. But it is the main reason there has been an explosion in the prevalence of the use of those medications.

I'd just rather be healthier -- IF it is possible -- and not need a synthetic drug to live. That is what I was getting at.

I don't know that I have high blood pressure. I have never had a problem with it, although as I said it ran in my dad's side of the family. I am not overweight. I don't smoke, etc.

I just don't feel right lately. My heart racing occasionally at night. More stress than usual. A rush where my head feels hot, etc.

If I did find out that my blood pressure is high, though, I'd first want to work with my doctor to find out if there is something OTHER than a genetic problem of some sort that is causing it and deal with that before I just settle into ta pill as the solution -- with longer term effects that may or may not be understood. For example (and I am not suggesting this is definitely my problem, I don't know), I know that stress releases hormones that temporarily cause your heart to beat faster and your blood vessels to narrow. Which can cause spikes in blood pressure. But there is nothing suggesting that stress itself causes long-term high blood pressure.

That said, if a doctor ever told me I have high blood pressure, and despite my legit efforts to control it with eating naturally, exercising, keeping a good weight, not smoking etc. ... yeah, I'd listen to any recommendation about controlling it with medication.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, I'll tell you this: My head felt hot for weeks, and it stopped the day I started the daily BP pill.

I thought my BP was still just borderline-high. It wasn't. It was dangerously high at that point.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

All the healthy living in the world isn't going to overcome genetics.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do have an herb card?
    Weed can lower BP and help with stress.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Which head?

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I'll add my experience to those who have posted about BP medication. It's not expensive (at least not for me as I've been prescribed a generic form), there are no side effects as far as I can tell, and it got my situation under control in a hurry.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

My dad has been on BP meds for many years with no side effects.

Ragu, you need to get in and see a medical professional. Don't fuck around with this. Go.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It can't be said enough: go see your doctor and get a thorough physical. One other thing, you don't have to medicate until you rattle, but some drugs really can save your life. Find a doc who will work with you on balancing lifestyle choices with conventional medicine. The right doctor is out there, and he or she doesn't have to live in a yurt in Summertown, TN to understand it's not all about hitting the pharmacopeia without considering a combination of approaches. Gosh, I hope that doesn't sound too woo.

Short version: Get a checkup!

Here are some good meditative links for people who don't really feel meditation.

This site has been around since the late 90s'. Kodaiji Temple's guided meditation is a treat for the eyes, ears, and inner kid who likes to poke around grammy's cement garden statuary.

ZEN

The Honest Guys produce guided meditation videos that work. Along with the run of the mill positive affirmation stuff, you'll find visualization audios based on Star Trek (but not ST because of copyright laws) and Tolkien. I last about ten minutes before I'm out cold and then wake up a few hours later with their rain relaxation audio going.

Home

TheHonestGuys

Of course these programs might be more annoying than relaxing. There's no one size fits all approach to being well and feeling good.

Have I mentioned getting a physical? Don't skip on that, please.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted