1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stress suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

First, I would go and buy a blood pressure cuff - the one that fits on your upper arm and not the one that fits on your finger. You can get a good one at a drug store for less than $50. Start taking your blood pressure at regular intervals and write down the date/time and blood pressure for several days.

Make an appointment with either your primary care physician or a cardiologist. I would go to my primary care guy and have him decide what I need to do next, but you make that call. Take your blood pressure data with you and show it to the doctor. Let that doctor set you on your recovery course. This has the potential to be sufficiently serious that you need to see a professional and not try to do this on your own.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks guys. Trust me, I am not the type to diagnose myself. I just know that I have felt stress and I can almost feel my blood pressure elevated sometimes, but I don't know that it isn't in my head or what it means. I have never had high blood pressure, even though it runs in my family, so I may be totally wrong. I do know the panic attacks in the middle of the night have felt real. But that isn't entirely new for me, so it doesn't freak me out. I even have ways to deal with it.

My general feeling is that the fewer doctors involved in my life, the better. But my sister (and best friend) is an MD, and a good one, and one thing I learned from her is not to hit the Internet and think you can diagnose yourself. You will come up with all kinds of nonsense. So I always defer to my doctor. I don't have a cardiologist Jack (although my brother in law is one), but I am making the appointment with my GP. I won't be back in NY until next week, but I'll see if if he can get me in -- I am about due for a physical anyhow. I like him. He isn't alarmist and tends to take a minimalist approach. He's not a pill pusher without reason.

And for some of the other suggestions, meditation is a great idea. I have tried it -- several times. I love many things about Buddhist practice. I just suck at focused meditation. I get the "monkey mind" too easily trying to focus on nothing is sooooo difficult for me. It should probably give it a better go and stick to it.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Here is a form of meditation that works for me: Take a yoga class that is taught by a cute woman. Stare at her ass. Believe me, you will be able to focus.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will second VB's breathing suggestion, I have used it on occasion and it works.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

tl;dr

But judging from your title, I suggest this thread:

What are you drinking right now?

cjericho likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Assuming BP and everything else checks out ok, don't be afraid to go the therapy/psychiatry route. Top athletes make their living with their bodies, and they rely unapologetically on doctors and trainers to make sure everything is in top form. You make your living with your mind and should feel free to use the best experts to make sure it stays in peak condition.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Here is the link for Headspace App. You can put it on your phone. I never understood meditation until I got this app. It gives you an easy track to run on and learn. It takes 10 to 20 minutes and once you get the basics down you will be able to completely refocus yourself when stressed. I did the free 10 day program and liked it so much that I bought the annual subscription.
    Headspace
    Also the article from The New Yorker that turned me on to it:
    Enlightenment on Your iPhone

Machine Head likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't have kids.

Vombatus and dixiehack like this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Repped for real talk.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I almost cried the day I found out it never gets less stressful, it just feels that way sometimes because you become resigned to dealing with it forever.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why would you feel this way? One little pill a day, and my BP now is 110/75. Big relief.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sometimes I just don't have time to think about how stressed I am.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted