1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Streets of Fire alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Feb 21, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gosh, I have not seen that movie in years. Loved it at the time, though.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If I recall correctly--and my memory may be fuzzy since I was only 10 back then :D--it was supposed to be one of the big moves in the summer of '84. But it had a slow opening week and drifted out of theatres. Maybe it tried to be too many things...musical/action thriller/an '80s take on the '50s gang wars/PG version of The Warriors (Walter Hill directed it).

It was also supposed to turn Michael Pare into a superstar, and one look at his IMDB page proves THAT didn't happen.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

*bump*

On Encore Action right now.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pare screwed that up when Eddie and the Cruisers came out.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, is it too late to nominate John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band to the list of greatest American rock and roll bands?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

SOF would have been right in my movie wheelhouse in the summer of '84 but somehow I've never seen it.

7. I thought the movie blew Jurassic goats,
    However, Ry Cooder was rarely better, and Ms. Lane, well, if there were no Maggie...

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If a movie soundtrack's got the Blasters and Lone Justice, it's got plenty of class right there. All it needed was Meat Loaf somewhere - he and Steinman are each other's opposite hand.
    Did see Fire Inc. singer Laurie Sargent back in the day with Face to Face, her Boston-based band.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, but the summer of '84 was when E&TC got a second life on HBO. So as cheesy as that movie was, he was primed to make a big move with Streets of Fire.

He wasn't as bad as I remembered. He had all the range of Stallone, but there seemed to be a winking self-awareness of his limitations that Sly's never displayed.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was their one hit called 10-9-8? Don't ask me why I remember this stuff.

I thought the album was fine w/o the Meat, who was probably in the midst of one of his fights with Steinman at that point. Fire Inc. was an outstanding outlet for his bombast.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dan Hartman "I Can Dream About You" was the epitome of mid 80's (even though in the video where they were moonwalking Harman was nowhere to be seen.)

Good memories.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey, I loved Eddie and the Cruisers. Pare, Tom Berringer and Joey Pants? Fuggedaboudit.

Draft saved Draft deleted