1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal | staff writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal | staff writer

SportsBusiness Journal/Daily are looking for a staff writer who will be responsible for breaking news coverage and feature stories for both publications. Beats to be determined. Writer will be asked to develop sources and write stories on a variety of subjects under multiple deadlines: daily, weekly and long range. Must be able to produce clear, concise copy and turn complicated subjects and issues into readable stories. Must also be a team player who is prepared to operate in a newsroom setting.

Hours: Full Time

Reports To: Editor

Duties: Writer will be asked to cover beats across all platforms, including print and Web (news site, blog and Twitter), and may represent the publications in occasional radio and TV appearances. Could also be asked to assist in developing content and targeting speakers for sports business conferences.
    Moderate travel is likely.

Skills: Must have shown consistent ability to break news and have strong computer skills, especially online search capabilities. Business knowledge, sports knowledge and writing/editing background a must.

Experience: The ideal candidate is a strong and versatile reporter with a proven ability to develop a wide range of sources and to consistently break news in a competitive environment; has knowledge of and interest in the business of sports; is willing to collaborate with other reporters and editors to make each story better; and is energetic, creative and a self-starter who is competitive and has high expectations.

amadkour@bizjournals.com
    120 W Morehead Street
    Suite 310
    Charlotte, NC 28202
    704-973-1400
    http://www.acbj.com/careers/Careers.html

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good people here but I wonder why it seems that there is an opening here almost every six months.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I interviewed for this a few years back and the people seemed straight-forward. I remember something about 48 hour weeks and only getting paid 40 though, and I also remember something about getting out early on Fridays.

There was also some sort of writing test, I don't remember what it entailed.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Good guys to work with. Mark Mensheha is a good managing editor and overall, the staff is pretty hardworking. I wonder, though, if any of the laid off NASCAR Scene guys get first dibs since they are the same company?

Draft saved Draft deleted