1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Street Ballin' on the NY courts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 13, 2012.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Good story. Can be hard to find good pickup ball in some areas out west, I've found. Would be a good story to expand upon for different regions of the country.

Of course there's probably not much interest in that kind of story nationally.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

USA Today could probably knock out a good four-incher on it...

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's been done. "Hoops Nation" by Chris Ballard. For NYC hoops try "Heaven is A Playground" by SI columnist Dan Patrick.

I liked the Times article but the writer is lucky he did not get knifed. He seemed a bit aggressive to step into the NYC basketball scene.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I didn't know Rick Telander was just Dan Patrick's pen name.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Boom is going for something here - I just don't know what it is.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Alex Wolff and Chuck Wielgus did the "In Your Face" book back in the early 1980s. If you're into pick-up ball, it's a great read though now it would be more than a little out of date.

Draft saved Draft deleted