1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Strauss)-KAAAAAAAAAHN!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 14, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow, it only took a few months for the billionaire's money to filter down to the right investigators. I'm impressed with the amount of speed it took to have the story turn against the immigrant woman (who, btw, went running to security immediately after the attack/consensual sex) and in favor of the wealthy white guy (who, BTW, went fleeing to the airport immediately after the incident).

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The disgraceful tabloid coverage was a far bigger factor.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These leaks are coming from the prosecutor's office. And, as part of the discovery process, they've had to turn over what they've discovered to the defense.

That doesn't mean I disagree with your basic take on the events.

As I said earlier, I think it's entirely possible he assaulted a victim who has a lot to hide and thus lied to prosecutors.

4. YankeeFan

DSK's team has been looking for dirt as well:

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So does the IMF give him his job back?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not a chance. They've already chosen his replacement. (The French finance minister, who is notably female.)

But I'd be interested to see what odds one could get on his becoming French president next year.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Oh he'll just go corrupt with another insanely wealthy bastard.

And in case your legal scorecard isn't updated:

Rich 294,379,429,117,003, Poor 2.

Still trying to find those poor cards. They're just hearsay for the moment.

8. TigerVols

Upon further review...

Turns out the widely reported story that she IMMEDIATELY went to security is flat-out wrong...combined with the number of other apparent lies she's told (if these latest sources can be believed) I withdraw my defense of her.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/01/national/main20076147.shtml

9. YankeeFan

Tiger, curious to here what you think went down.

Do you think it was a total setup, that something consensual happened, or there was an assault, but her credibility is too poor to prosecute? (I think those are the three options.)

I think something purely consensual is more remote than a setup, but a setup would take some real planning.

Obviously, a guy in that suite is going to be rich. So, she could have just targeted a random rich guy. Maybe she even looked him up. (If he stayed in the suite for several days, she could have googled him.)

The least likely scenario I think is that it's an actual political set up arranged by rivals in France.

10. YankeeFan

It also makes you wonder how common this is:

11. TigerVols

Given that (it now appears) I was 100 percent wrong, I won't leap to any conclusions about what happened.

We know they had sex. We know he acted strangely afterwards. Or at least we think we know this. But as for what really happened, we'll never know if for no other reason than the billionaire's knob was schlobbed by a drug-dealer-loving, illegal immigrant with HIV.

12. YankeeFan

More from the Times:

Draft saved Draft deleted