1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strat-O-Matic Memories Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 28, 2020.

1. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

Never played strat-o-matic or APBA but did have those Avalon Hill games plus, Sports Action Game Company Canadian Football! I played that CFL game quite a lot. Recall the seasons being from 74-82 or so. Had stat sheets you could keep for each game played and I ended up tracking stats. I'm pretty certain I have most of those documents housed somewhere! I also recall a Monday Night Football primarily because Kent Nix was the designated starter for the Steelers. I also had Cadaco's BAS-KET (with the holes, levers and a ping-pong ball), a couple Negamco games, Cadaco's All-Star Baseball with the spinner, and the NHL game with the metal players. Not to mention electric football!!!

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Started out with Negamco baseball. Must have been doing something wrong, because the Twins' Eric Soderholm had something like eight home runs in the first 12 games, and its rosters didn't seem completely updated (had John Bateman as Phillies catches instead of Bob Boone). Then went Strat-O.

This was my first football board game memory.

[​IMG]

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He made the most of his opportunities when he pinch-hit for Pedro Borbon.

expendable likes this.
  4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

You could always count on him for at least one single a game...

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

2001 advanced card:

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I used to be in a league with a group of friends. One night, two of the guys started arguing, and then one grabbed the other team's cards and threw them across the room. To this day, the card of Garry Templeton has never been found. We suspect it ended up in a furnace vent.

A friend of mine was once in a league where they had a draft in which each team selected 10 players. Once they were done, every other player card was placed in paper bags by positions (there was even a bag for utility players) and you had a blind draw for the rest of your roster.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ridiculous, but I think the chance for a K was too high; and that 1/12 would be a killer. He beats Mota, limited ABs or not.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Aye. Bonds was a 2 in left field in 1988 maybe, but not as 2001 RoboCop.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Is that the one where the offense picks a play sheet, the defense picks a play sheet and you put it in an envelope over the light, then slowly remove the envelope and watch the Xs and Os play be revealed?

If not, never mind.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. But I forget how you read how the play unfolded.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From what I remember, there was an offensive play, diagrammed all the way down the field, and a defensive play diagrammed the same. When a defensive player's line touched the ball carrier's line, it was a "tackle", at however many yards downfield it was on the offensive sheet.

If a defensive player's line touched the dotted line of a pass, it was incomplete. If a defensive player's line touched the spot where the pass was to be caught on the offensive sheet, it was an interception.

12. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Currently replaying last season on the computer game. I bought the game at the end of March and am currently at the end of the first month of last season, each game takes about 15 to 20 minutes to play, sometimes 10 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted